Translate this blog....

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ghost Hunters

I have this interest in people who chase after ghosts, spirits, demons - whatever you want to call it. There's a reason for my interest & I will explain that in another post coming up soon.

Right now I want to talk about the shows I like to watch. One is the show Paranormal State. This is all about a guy named Ryan and his team of "paranormal investigators." They seem to be seriously interested in examining the problems people have with paranormal disturbances. I also like that it seems they sincerely want to help the people who call on them. I do find it strange that while they are dabbling in the occult (one of the team members is a "pagan"), they often call on the "white light" of the Lord (Jesus) to protect them. In one episode, when the clients were born-again Christians, Ryan joked to the pagan team member to maybe put away her cauldron, etc. I thought that was so odd. It's like they are admitting that there are conflicts between what they do and what the Bible teaches, but they still use the Bible, priests (especially Catholic) and Church teachings in their combats... Strange.

The other show I've been checking out is Ghost Adventures. This one just cracks me up. These two guys take themselves seriously sometimes, but mostly, they seem to think that there is a lot of humor in what they do when investigating ghosts, etc. The one guy (he seems to be more of a camera operator) does not even pretend to be brave. Let something creak, whisper or groan in the dark & he goes into full panic mode. I love it when something weird happens and all you hear is him going, "Dude! Whoa! This is hardcore!" (Trust me, I'm laughing WITH him. I wouldn't even go into a creepy place on purpose, so I know I'd be screaming like a little girl if something spooked me.)

There's an old joke about black people and scary movies - you know, the movie would be over before it began because we wouldn't be hanging around after a voice told us to "GET OUT!!!" Well, usually stereotypes just piss me off, but I have noticed that I never see a black person on any of these shows. I know that even if I happened to be of another race, you wouldn't catch me creeping around some supposedly haunted place, taunting a spirit to come out and communicate. If something did show up, when I got through pissing on it and trampling everyone to "GET OUT," they wouldn't be able to show the film on TV.

Anyway, like I said, there's a reason I have this interest in spooky stuff. It has to do with something that happened right in my own family. I will talk about that later. For now, I'm going back to finish watching Ghost Hunters. I want to see if the ghost in the attic actually shows up and scares the crap out of that one dude...