Translate this blog....

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Their Eyes Were Watching God (thank you, Zora)

What an under-appreciated book.

Every single time I read this book, I get something new from it. Ms. Hurston didn't just tell a story made up of words, but she painted pictures of every mood, feeling and point. I keep asking myself why this is not required reading in schools?

Here are some of my favorites lines (& I'm doing this from memory, so don't hold that against me!):

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer"
"They'd look with envy at the things and pity the man that owned them"

I can't remember off-hand, but there was another great line about talking to the uneducated with "jaws full of books."

Wow. Amazing. Beautiful.

The story itself is empowering and wonderful, but the way Zora tells it... *smh*... Just something to experience. Truly.

You can check out a limited preview at Google books here. If the direct link doesn't work, do your own search at Google Books. (And when you do, pay attention to the very first line of the story. It will give you a big idea of how wonderfully the rest of the book reads.)

Peace
--Free