Translate this blog....

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Laugh Love Cry

Don't know if you ever heard an older person say something like, "I don't have to do a damn thing but be black and die," but it was something my mom used to say when she was feeling ornery (or "Ahn-ree"). I don't use that saying because, well, I guess it's just not my thing. My saying is: "My choice is laugh, love or cry."

And that is what life is, right? Choices about how to deal with whatever situation we find ourselves in. We can get mad, be sad or hurt, think about revenge... There are a lot of ways to deal with the good and bad that we get thrown at us. I've been through enough in the past few years that I narrowed my choices down to 3 for dealing with mess:

1 - I can laugh it off. You know - just shrug and chuckle and move on. Some things, no matter how big they seem in a moment, are really just not that big a deal in the whole scheme of life. Life's short & some things are just a blip on the radar. This is best to remember when embarrassing things happen to us. It's like: Who's going to remember this a year from now? (And even if someone DOES remember, so what?) So, for the silly things that happen to me to mess up a few minutes of my day, I think I'll just laugh and move on.

2 - Another way to deal with people who bother you is to choose to love them. I don't mean I'm going to be IN love or feeling deep love for someone who hurts me, tries to hinder me or bring me down in some way. I just mean, I am going to try to apply some Jesus love to the situation. I'm going to try to remember that I myself have done hurtful or mean things to people and I know that I'm not a bad person. I just have bad ways sometimes. Thing is, Jesus still loves my little narrow behind - even when I am just about the most unlovable person in the world! So... to anyone out there who guns for me: I might wanna slap a knot on your head, but I won't. I'm just going to love you like Jesus loves me.

3 - Last of all,, I have learned that there ain't a thing wrong with a little crying. We have tear ducts for a reason, right? (OK, maybe that's only for cleaning our eyes or whatever - but you know what I mean!) I used to try hard NOT to cry when things hurt me, but you know what? Crying is an alright thing to do. Sometimes. It's a normal reaction. Sometimes. It's a good release. Sometimes. I figure crying is a good way to let out your emotions and stress so that you don't end up in jail for seriously hurting someone else! (Just kidding. Sort of.) Usually when I start out crying I end up praying. Not a bad transition: crying tears to crying out to God.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share those thoughts with you. 

Peace
--Free