This is straight from the Save Our Strength site.
Go check it out for more info. Hard to care if you are not aware.
Download the 2011 Childhood Hunger Factsheet.
- More than 16 million children in America are at risk of hunger. That’s more than 1 in 5.
- 15.7 million children in America live in poverty.
- 18.6 million children benefit from SNAP (food stamps).
- Over 20 million children get a free or reduced-price school lunch on an average school day.
- Only 10.5 million children get a free or reduced-price school breakfast on an average school day.
- 6 out of 7 children who qualify for a free or reduced-price school lunch do not currently access free summer meals.
Sources: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture; U.S. Census Bureau; Food Research and Action Center. For more statistics, please visit our Hunger Facts Page.
#livebelowtheline #hunger #poverty