According to the Android app on my phone, my health is improving incrementally:
- Carbon monoxide level in my blood down by 100%
- Taste & smell improved by 100%
- 100 percent of nicotine gone from my body
- 86% of my nicotine dependence is gone
- My withdrawal symptoms are down by 43%
- My circulation has improved by 13%
- I'm down 3% on my risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke
I've still got a ways to go before I'm even half as healthy as I need to be, but I'm getting there. If a bus doesn't mow me down. If I don't slide my Sarc-clumsy ass on the ice and break my tailbone. If, if, if...
Slowly, surely, I creep through this minefield of beating my addiction to nicotine. It has been good for my lungs and my prayer life.
The thing is, I want to encourage anyone else who is trying to kick a habit. If you smoke or drink or have way too much sex - you can at least attempt to stop. Find your personal motivation factors. I have Sarcoidosis, therefore, I should not smoke. I was married to a drunk and I will never be an alcoholic. I don't have to worry about excess sex; I create enough problems for myself just thinking too much about it.
Bottom line: if you want to quit something - you can do it. It's just a matter of when and how. I don't want my "when" to be too late or my "how" to be death.
Cessation Nation is the Android app I'm using. Go find one that works for you. Good luck.