There are about 10 ways we Alaskans can tell that summer is finally about to be here:
|I can almost smell summer coming. (Hamburgers. Summer smells like hamburgers.)|
- The fam uncovers the grill and hoses out the coolers.
- The 13 coats of dirt on your car start to bother you.
- Ladies start putting on their morning makeup in direct sunlight so they don't scare small babies later in the day.
- The "break-up" weather has created ponds of water so deep along the sidewalks that I start wishing I knew how to swim. Just in case.
- If the break-up "ponds" don't get you, the potholes hidden underneath will.
- If the potholes don't get you, the maniac drivers happy to see asphalt will.
- People rush the weather by coming outside too soon in shorts and flip-flops.
- It's fun to watch someone in flip-flops trying to step over the patches of un-melted snow.
- After having complained all winter about the darkness, you now grumble because the sun is up way before you have to be.
- You finally start working on losing those pounds you won't be able to continue hiding under your winter clothes.