Translate this blog....

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Self-Marketing, Soul-Marketing

Recently, I've been making more of an effort to do more product reviews here. (You guys seem to like those posts most.) I've been looking for sites that work to connect bloggers to brands - I'll do a separate post about all that later - and I had a thought (it happens!) I wanted to share.

The internet has encouraged a lot of people to market their skills and talents; their opinions and perspectives. This is a good thing. I like hearing about everything (from cooking to makeup to learning) from people I might never get a chance to meet in person. I sure hope to become one of the people that other people want to hear from.

I think of this online thing as "self-marketing". Some people are taking that idea waaaay too far. Think about it:

  • Where we once thought of celebrities as a talented group, now we have people becoming "famous" overnight for no decent reason.
  • Way back, oh say, five years ago, when I thought of Ebay and Craigslist, I thought "online garage sale". That was until I saw a story about someone putting their soul up for sale. (Their soul. Seriously.) The other day, I saw a story about a woman who was offering up her virginity for the highest bidder. Even worse, I think this has actually been going on for a minute and I'm just now hearing about it all...
  • Used to be that the only way for a non-actor to get on TV was: a) get on a game show; b) get arrested and featured on the news; or c) do something really positive and awesome - like have quintuplets or something. These days, we have so many reality shows that even media professionals don't know who to call "actor" or "actress" anymore.
Yeah, so...

When I think of all the mess that has become "entertainment" these days, I wonder if people are really willing to just go ahead and market their souls. They've sure stamped a price on everything else.

I think I will just stick to trying to market whatever life skills I've picked up. I won't tell you my most intimate bedroom secrets for a price, but I will accept your free samples in return for a review. Yes, I will.

Keep watching this space.

Peace
--Free