Translate this blog....

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

**REVIEW** JUUL E-Cigarette

DISCLAIMER: Nicotine is an addictive substance. Using E-cigarettes (vaping) is to be used by adults only. All forms of nicotine use is habit-forming and may be hazardous to ones health. This post is regarding my personal experiences and is not meant to encourage anyone to begin smoking.



As some of you know, I have struggled with cigarette addiction for a long time. I have cut back considerably and, recently, I was able to abstain from smoking. For a while. When I went back to smoking more, I wanted to find something that would help me cut back down and/or quit.

I have tried e-cigarettes before and never found a type that I could tolerate. Either the product didn't satisfy my cravings or it was just plain nasty - and that is coming from a cigarette smoker, so...


This time, I had the chance to try yet another e-cigarette device. It's the JUUL, which is an electronic cigarette from JUUL Labs (formerly PAX Labs).




First, let's discuss the cost of this bad boy. A starter kit will rin you A Starter Kit will run you 50 bucks ($49.99) or about the cost of 5 to 8 packs of cigarettes, depending on where you live. The kit contains the JUUL device, a USB charging dock, and four JUULpods in 5% nicotine strength (Virginia Tobacco, Mint, Creme, and Mango).



 



Once you buy the kit, you will be invited to participate in a research survey. Upon completing the survey (which takes about 20 minutes), you will be given the chance to apply to receive a Visa gift card in the amount (at the time of this writing) $30.00. The gift card offer is legit and comes through either immediately if you sign up for the digital version (which requires the creation of an account) or in about a week or so if you sign up for the physical card.

Now, let's go over what I found to be the Pros:

  • It lacks the other chemicals in a traditional cigarette. (Still, do NOT forget the addictive nicotine.)
  • It's slim, light, and very easy to take with you anywhere. I think this would be the best kind of thing to sneak-smoke if trying to be polite around non-smokers.
  • It charges from a USB port (i.e.: the computer or a phone charger).
  • It's MUCH less harsh, IMO than other nicotine delivery devices I've tried. 
  • You can control the strength of the "hit" you get. If you cover the space where the nicotine pod fits into the device, the hit is stronger. I think it is almost too strong.
  • It's very simple to set up and use.



WARNING: This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical.

And now the Cons:

  • It is made to use nicotine pods and, let's say it one more time: nicotine is highly addictive. Also, at the time of this post, there aren't any non-nicotine pods made for the JUUL.
  • Because it is so discreet, it would be easy for people to violate rules and use one where vape devices are not permitted.
  • JUULs are very popular with minors. This is probably the worst thing, IMO. If someone is not already a smoker, I don't know why on earth they should be encouraged to start vaping nicotine. I would like the whole point to be getting cigarette smokers completely weaned off the nasty habit.
  • It's expensive, in some people's opinion. I think that, for someone who lives in a state that puts high taxes on cigarettes (hello, Alaska!), the cost of these for a moderate smoker would be about the same. For me, I have actually cut back on smoking and am really hoping that this will help me to quit. In my case, these are not really that expensive. I will be clocking how long the 4 pods last me and do an update if I remember to.
Honestly, though, I have to say that, as an adult and someone trying to quit traditional cigs for good - this is the best alternative that I've found.

With cigarettes, I smoke full-flavor, non-menthol, 100 size types. I didn't think I was going to like the flavored pods that came in the starter kit. Guess what? The Mango flavor is my favorite. It's not as strong as the Virginia Tobacco pod. I haven't tried the Mint because I have not liked menthol type of cigarettes for a very long time. I will get around to trying them all and let you know what I think.


One more thing I want to mention is that I am already breaking part of my habit. When I smoke, I go outside to a particular spot. With the JUUL, I just take the occasional hit and there's no need to go out in the heat or cold. I realize that a big part of quitting cigarettes is breaking the habits associated with smoking. I'm monitoring my JUUL use by keeping a scratchpad of notes and I try to drink a lot of water instead of sucking on the device!

Peace
--Free