Translate this blog....

Friday, August 10, 2018

**REVIEW** Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil

A few weeks back I was able to try a Rose Hydrosol (Rosewater) that impressed the heck out of me. As a matter of fact, I just updated that post with some photos.

Anyway, the same company that sent the Rose Hydrosol is letting me try this now:

Majorana Hortensis

That is Sweet Marjoram 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil from Vita Pure (sold by Banyan Pure*). It is (like the Rose Hydrosol) steam distilled.

The botanical name is Majorana Hortensis or Origanum Majorana. There is apparently no difference between the two - mostly - because they stand for the commonly known herb of sweet or knotted marjoram. This particular one I have is labeled on the Product Page as "Sweet Marjoram" so that is the one I will use for looking up all info.



The smell is not unpleasant, but it's not one that I would use as a personal fragrance. It reminds me of Manuka oil with a hint of clove or oregano. When I looked it up, I found that the smell is normally associate with oregano. This is how one site describes sweet marjoram:
Marjoram Essential Oil is derived from the flowering tops and leaves of the Marjoram plant. It's a very close relative to Oregano, and although its scent is similar, it's much less pungent and far more pleasant. It's got a slightly camphorous, woody, herbal scent with a hint of spice. It's actually a very nice scent! (source)

I had to do some research (aka - going to Google!) because Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil is completely new to me. After the success with the Rose Hydrosol - which is antibacterial - I want to try something else that had possible healing benefits. First, I checked WebMD and took a look at some of the ailments that marjoram might be used for with the disclaimer of "lack of sufficient evidence"... It's a long list
Asthma (Early research shows that taking 2 drops of marjoram oil daily along with asthma medication for 3 months might improve lung function in people with asthma better than taking asthma medication alone); Coughs, Colds, Runny nose, Stomach cramps, Colic, Liver problems, Gallstones, Headache, Diabetes, Menopause symptoms, Menstrual problems, Nerve pain, Muscle pain, Sprains, Promoting breast milk, Improving appetite and digestion, Improving sleep, etc. (source)
As with anything, people, we have to use some common sense with these things. So, use your head and do your own research before using any kind of E.O. That said, one of the benefits I will be exploring is the healing of wounds and skin infections. The rosewater has almost completely cleared up the psoriasis on my feet, but I will try using the marjoram in place of the rosewater for the next several days. That way I can save the rosewater which I also like to use as a fragrance and in the diffuser.


By the way, this is what my feet currently look like after using the rosewater for the last few weeks.



Of course, I did use some pedicure implements (which I will be reviewing) and applied more rosewater but you have to know what my feet looked like before!

I also have less itching. That itching used to wake me up out of a deep sleep! I have read where marjoram is supposed to be an analgesic so maybe that will help continue fighting the itching.

One thing I can't even think about is ingesting this. I read that most of the benefits can be gotten from applying topically - with or without a carrier oil - but a couple of people talk about using very small amounts to flavor their food. No thank ya. All I need is to start foaming at the mouth or barking like a dog...

So, bottom line is that there are a lot of potential benefits to this essential oil. I will come back and update on any that I experience.

Peace
--Free



* I am contacting the Seller to find out why the change in names. On the Product Page, it shows the bottled labeled as "Banyan Pure", but my bottle arrived marked as you see in the photo labeled with "Vita Pure" I will let you know what I hear.

DISCLOSURE:

In exchange for providing my fair and honest review, I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free or at a discount using. Regardless, I only review products that I have personally used and can give an opinion of.