Translate this blog....

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

ORAC Numbers. Really?

When I was looking up information on the different oils the other day, I learned something new. There is a system for scoring the antioxidant value of common foods.

Did any of you know about this? If you did, why didn't you let a sister in on the news???

Anyway.

source

The ORAC thing is a little more complicated than I just stated but, if you want the nitty gritty on that, you can check Wikipedia. That's what I did.

I'm interested in the ORAC values of food, of course, but I do most of my reviews on essential oils. I was happy to see that there are E.O.s listed on the charts I found. At least, there are some E.O.s listed.

Here are some more charts and other information (sources as shown via links). Thanks for all the sources for having the information out there to share with the rest of us.


The USDA has a PDF downloadble that's kind of complex. Kind of. Or maybe it's just me.

Well Being does a better job of explaining antioxidants for the laymen

Superfoodly has a searchable list that's awesome. I mean, it is searchable. (And how cool is the name 'Superfoodly'?)

Bio Source Naturals has a chart and a Pinterest-friendly graphic.

source

It's been hard to find a chart of ORAC numbers for only E.O.s, so I'm showing a bunch for now.

source

ORAC Value Essential Oils
source

Now, as for me and my house, the following are the most common oils & EOs that have been used (and some that I have recently started using). I will show their ORAC score if I can find it.
  • Jojoba oil
  • Camelina oil 
  • Baobab oil
  • Lemon EO 660
  • Argan oil
  • Grapefruit 22,600
  • Lavender EO 360
  • Peppermint EO
  • Clove EO 1,078,700
  • Frankincense EO 630
  • Castor oil (reg)
  • Castor oil (Black Jamaican) 
  • Myrrh 379,800
  • Peach (I have Peach kernel oil)
  • Rosemary (I steep the leaves for a skin & hair spray) 330
I am still on the hunt for more numbers. In the meantime, isn't it interesting to look at which EOs have the higher numbers? I noticed that, other than Clove, I don't hear as much about those high number EOs. Might be something to think about when adding to your supplies, huh?

Since I started on these numbers, I thought I might as well add some Pins and charts for the ORAC score of foods and such. I mean, healthy is healthy, and beauty is a holistic kind of thing.


source was temp down
source


Source: A Handy Guide to Antioxidants




Peace
--Free