This first recipe is one that I found on a lifestyle blog by this lady. I want her to be my friend. Do check out the site because, well, yum!
I modified the original to include chopped walnuts and that's my favorite way to have it. This is her recipe and nutrition info.
Brown Sugar Bread (from Julie Blanner)INGREDIENTS
- 2 c brown sugar
- 4 c flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 c milk
- 2/3 c vegetable oil
(I cut this recipe in half and add a tablespoon of organic chocolate powder and about 1/4 cup chopped walnuts)
- Grease 6 mini loaf pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat eggs, milk, and oil.
- Gradually add dry mixture to wet until just moist.
- Pour batter into pans an inch below to compensate for rising. Optional: sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake 40 minutes.
Julie notes that you can also make this in 2 - 1 pound loaf pans or cut the recipe in half for just 1 loaf pan and bake 50 minutes. That's what I do unless I am sharing with my brother's family.
This is not an overly sweet bread and when I add the nuts, I find it to be very filling and satisfying. I like it so much that there are days when I eat nothing else but this bread. The last time I made some, I did a large loaf for my brother's house and 2 small loaves - one for me and one for my neighbor who is always bringing me juice and fruits.
Speaking of my brother (the youngest, I mean), his favorite treat is the Lemon Tea Loaf that I make. The recipe came from a set of recipes my brother's MIL gave to me over a year ago as a sort of housewarming gift. To keep it safe while I was setting up the rest of the apartment, I put it in the storage cubby. And forgot about it. Unfortunately, I can't refer you to the easytobake.com site because it's now dead. The link I will give is to a similar online recipe that I have tried, but recipe below is from the Easy To Bake card.
- 1 c sugar (for the cake)
- 1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c milk
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350
- Oil & flour (lightly) 3 5 3/4-inch x 3-inch pans
- Combine sugar and butter in large bowl and beat with mixer until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes on medium speed). Stir in eggs and lemon rind and beat 1 minute.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir this flour mixture and the milk into the sugar/butter mixture.
- Pour batter into pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (35-40 minutes).
- Set pans aside to cool slightly. Pierce tops of loaves several times with skewer (or piece of spaghetti!)
- Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle slowly over the loaves (and holes) until all the liquid has been absorbed. Let cool another 10 minutes or so and remove from pans to cool completely.
I modified this recipe slightly by adding some lemon flavoring to the batter and then using much more glaze than indicated. My brother likes the tanginess of the lemon so, yeah.
I also made this once and then put a twist on the serving method. I sliced the loaves very thinly then made sandwiches with a filling of cream cheese that I whipped with some lemon and sugar. My neighbor and I ate them before I took photos so... Guess I will have to make more and do an update!
This is what a loaf looks like. Next time I make some, I want to try freezing them for later. We will see how that turns out.