Translate this blog....

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Music & Shame

Is it just me or does anyone else have songs they are ashamed of loving? One day, I was using Alexa to listen to the playlist I have hidden on my computer. I started hiding that playlist file a few years ago when I would let my little nephew use my computer. He was only supposed to be playing his games and watching some kid movies. However, at 4 DJ was smart enough about computers to probably write code. And there was no way that the child needed to know what was on that playlist.

I am ashamed of some of the songs I like simply because they are slightly inappropriate. First of all, no self-respecting woman should be grooving to the lyrics in Tupac's "How Do You Want It?" or Prince's "Lady Cab Driver. So I only listen to those songs in private. I mean, Tupac's song is a straight up thugged out stripper groove but, damn, it is a nice groove. I don't even know how to explain the cab driver song, but it's great music to clean house to.

Some of the songs I like though are secret only because I think my family would tease me about them. For instance, I have always loved the song called "I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene. I'll play that one on days when I just need to drain myself of tears. Sometimes all I need to feel better is a good cry and that song will certainly do it. I have other songs that I like to cry to (and, yes guys, that is a thing). There are songs that make me think of the loved ones I've lost. I can never listen "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" without thinking of my father. James Taylor's "Walking Man" is a little easier on my heart but it makes me think of one of my cousins who died young.

By the way, one song that I don't have to hide is James Taylor's "Fire and Rain". That's a lifetime favorite for both me and one of my older brothers. Years ago when I found out he liked it as much as I do, I almost wept. Now it's a thing with us. It's nice to have a sweet thing like that with a sibling.

Millie Jackson's songs are some hidden favorites. Her songs might be raunchy but they are so real-life and honest. There's not a lot of sugar-coating with Millie. It was my sister who introduced me to Jackson's music and the first time I heard "If Loving You Is Wrong" I loved it even though I was too young to really understand it. I am double ashamed that I once felt like Millie was singing about one of my relationships when I heard "Hurts So Good". Great song, bad situation.

Speaking of songs that are kind of strange when you really pay attention to them, one of my favorites was always "I'm Going to Make You Love Me". Great song but... stalker much?

There are other songs I like and am not ashamed of but are surprising to some of my friends. One is Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia". That is a bad-ass song with some top talent fiddle playing. However, it is right up there with the theme from "Deliverance" on a list of songs I'd rather not hear while riding through any sundown towns...

My favorite song to sing along with is Bette Midler's "Do You Want to Dance?" That's a great song! So sweet and romantic. And I don't have to strain my vocal cords or make horrible faces to keep up with it.

Then there are the filthy songs I only liked because I never paid close attention to the lyrics. One of the dirtiest songs I've ever heard is called "Magic Stick". Just the fact that it was Lil Kim and 50 Cent (you know, Fitty) singing should have been a clue. I actually could make out the first few lines of the song but couldn't really be alarmed.
I got the magic stick
I know if I can hit once, I can hit twice
I hit the baddest chicks
Shorty don't believe me, then come with me tonight
And I'll show you maaagic
(What? What?) Maaagic

My little brother was in the car with me one day while I was blasting that song and actually singing along with the "What? What? Maaagic" part.  He asked if I knew what they were singing about. Because he is younger and I know I should set a good example, I felt bad admitting that, yeah, I knew it was a song about weed, but I just liked the music.

Listen. I thought my brother was going break a rib laughing. When he could breathe again, he explained that the "magic stick" was not a joint they were talking about "hitting".




Oh. My. Damn. Now every time I even think about those lyrics, I feel like I need to wash out my brain with holy water!

So, I am over here, putting together a new playlist that I don't have to hide. Because I come to things late, I've only been obsessed for a few months with Amo Lee's "Seen It All Before", "Colors" and "Arms of a Woman" - basically everything on his debut album. All I can think is how did I not know about this singer before? For a couple of days, I had those songs on a loop along with John Mayer's "Gravity" and Bonnie Raitt's - not Steve Winwood or Blind Faith, but just Bonnie Raitt - singing "Can't Find My Way Home". I tossed in my man Al Green doing that masterpiece "Simply Beautiful." Perfection.

As for not paying attention to song lyrics, I bet I'm not the only one. If you are old enough, think back to the sweet and innocent-looking 80's darling Sheena Easton singing "Sugar Walls". Ever pay attention to those lyrics? Yeah. Prince wrote that freaky song. I can forgive him though because he also wrote one of Earth's greatest love songs when he penned "Adore". ~sigh~ I so want someone to play that song for me one day before I die.

Anyway, now that DJ is no longer constantly around my computer, I guess I can come out of hiding with all my playlists. If I'm not too embarrassed, one day I'll post a full list here. For now, I have to put on some decent music and clean the kitchen.

Peace
--Free