Translate this blog....

Thursday, May 07, 2020

DAE Have Hair Texture Confusion?

(NOTE: The next several posts might be a bit out of order. Sorry but I've been saving up so many posts that I got mixed up. Hang in. All will eventually make some sort of sense.)

There are so many reviews on this blog for hair products. There are so many hair products out there to be reviewed. And I am talking just about the stuff for natural hair types. I can't even fathom how big the market is for every hair type. So, Reddit-style, I am asking a DAE: does anyone else share my frustration?

(By the way, this is a little bit of a gripe post. About hair. And hair texture.)

I am not sure that hair can be properly typed. Trying to identify my own hair type is a nightmare. I have been told that I am a 4C. Okay. First, let's look at just some of the hair charts that are out there:

I am nowhere in any of these ranges! All of these match some of my bi-racial nieces



Not quite any of these fit. I think hair length might have something to do with it




Depending on moisture levels, I might fit between 3B and 4A????



















Now, let's look at a couple shots of my hair. I had to do dig around to find these. This first one is where my hair is at its driest (and un-dyed-est!). It's still shorter from a clipping:


~sigh~ Now I'm just confused ...
maybe I fit on the 2 outlined areas? Maybe.







Looks a little 4A-ish???
This is one I found where my hair is holding onto some moisture. Also, it's more grown out than in the other photo.


Looking at all of these, and then looking at my own hair, I think that I am between 4B and 4C. Some of my hair is totally 4B and some is all 4C. So, again, I don't think that it's easy for everyone to "type" their hair texture.

As you can see, I am very confused about how to type my hair. It depends on so much from day to day, If I twist my hair overnight, it comes out looking a whole other kind of way. And if I do Bantu knots overnight, it comes out different from the twisting. I prefer twisting or doing knots over a wash and go style.

I am beginning to think that it doesn't matter what "type" hair you have. As long as you understand your hair's behavior - how water and various products affect it - that's the important thing. Look at any product that sounds as if it should be perfect for your hair type, then read the reviews. There will be at least a couple of people who have your hair type who disagree about how the product works (or doesn't).

In the next post, I will do a quickie review of a couple of products I recently tried - okay, it's 4 products. It was time for me to re-stock and I decided to try some new things. I will be doing photos to show how 3 of those products affected my naps.

Peace
--Free