Translate this blog....

Sunday, August 30, 2020

**REVIEW** L'Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion

Who'd have imagined? Black ladies can benefit from tanning products. As a matter of fact, the idea is pretty genius and it is not new. 

When I thought of using a self-tanning lotion, it was because I got some in a Target box. That one seriously irritated my face but put me back onto the idea of using a self-tanner. I had already been using this ever since I got a sample a year or so ago in a beauty box. The Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer Self-Tanner was in too light of a shade for me but I did like the idea. As I started looking for a self-tanning product, I was self-conscious and glad that I could search online instead of in a store. What I did not realize is that a lot of black women were already onto this trick. Just do a quick YouTube search and you will see more than a few black people using different brands and types of these self-tanners. And here I thought I was on to something new...

I can't afford the expensive higher name-brand serums that are sold in Sephora and Ulta, etc, but I did find this for a reasonable price, knowing that I could return to Amazon if I wasn't happy. I am happy.


The "Deep" is for how dark you want the color. I have some glow product in a light-to-medium and it does almost nothing for me. I assume that if you are lighter-skinned, you might want to start out with a light or medium choice.


My first quest was to find something labeled "Deep" or "Dark". Next, it was to find something that wouldn't irritate my skin. I am happy to say that this particular lotion is working well and not breaking me out in the least.

I decided to write this review in a bullet-point style, listing and answering the different concerns I had. So let's go:

  1. A lot of Glitter? No, this doesn't have as much "glitter" as I feared from reading some reviews. I am dark so, trust me, glitter would really sparkle. I can see the glitter faintly on the back of my hand after first applying this. On my face, I didn't notice as much. When I wash my face before bed, the color stays and the glitter goes.
  2. Does it itch? I was really worried about this because I recently tried Tanologist Face and Body Drops and had to immediately get it off my skin. This one tingled slightly the first time I applied it but the tingle didn't get worse and it went away as the product dried. And, keep in mind, I am using this on my face. After that first time, I haven't even felt even the slightest tingle.
  3. Does it dry out my skin? The product I used in the past was a lotion for use on wet skin and I didn't want to use anything else that would dry out my skin. This doesn't dry me out but you are to use an oil-free moisturizer, if any, before applying. I do make sure to apply my regular moist lotion in-between applications. So far, so good.
  4. Is the smell offensive/strong? Sniffing the open cap, there is a faint, soapy kind of scent. It's not unpleasant and I didn't smell it when the test spot dried on the back of my hand.
  5. Is it sticky? Yes. While this is still damp on the skin, it has a tacky-like feel. Once it dries, it's okay. I still like it best once I can wash my face without ruining the results.
  6. Is it shiny? OMGoodness, yes! I almost hated this because of the shine on the first day. What I realized is that it is best to apply this before bed, then I can wash my face in the morning. That gets rid of both the shine and any hint of glitter.
  7. Does this transfer/Is it messy? I didn't have any problems with this getting on paperwork or my clothes - as long as I let it dry completely. The advantage this has over makeup is that I don't have to deal with transfer to my clothes and paperwork and furniture, etc. When you wear dark makeup, the transfer can be a big problem. 
  8. Does it affect my brow/lash/hairline color? I was careful not to get this into my hairline the first day and I made sure to wipe my brows with a damp tissue and brush my lashes too. After the first day, I forgot to do any of this. I haven't had any problems with the product messing with the color of my hair. That might be because I have black hair though. Someone with lighter hair/lighter skin might want to be more careful. I read a review that warned about orange hair... Yikes.
  9. How are the results? Check out the photos are from Day 1 and 3. I was worried that I wasn't going to get the color I wanted but it really does take applying this for a few days to start noticing effects on my dark complexion. Now I think I might even do my chest, legs, and arms.

The once concern I had (and asked other Amazon users about) is why this doesn't have an expiration date on the tube. That seems important since there is a suggestion to use within 6 months. As I suspected, that might be a ploy to have people toss products and buy more every 6 months. A couple of other users assured me that they have been using a tube for much longer than  6 months with no negative effects. I am not a woman to toss perfectly good products unless they look bad, smell bad, or irritate my skin when I test them.

The top photo is what my skin basically looked like on the 12th of the month. And I say "basically" because I just chose a photo I had taken for a hair product because I knew it was when I hadn't worn makeup or anything.

And the bottom photo is what my skin looks like after 4 days of applying the tanning lotion. Again, no makeup. I didn't even blot for the shine because I want to give the most realistic view. 






The best way I can describe this is that my skin looks like I have applied a sepia-like filter, if that makes sense. The difference is more vivid in person. One of my neighbors saw me taking the out the trash yesterday and when I stepped into the sunlight, she almost gasped, no kidding. She said, "You look great!" I think she might have thought I was wearing makeup because she said that she hadn't been doing anything to her face since the COVID lockdown. I don't usually wear foundation on a daily basis and my neighbors are used to seeing me look "natural". 

Basically, this is a great way for me to enhance my natural color and not irritate my good-but-aging 59-year old skin. And I can save a lot of money too. I will now only be wearing foundation for special occasions because this is perfect for a "bare-faced" and natural look. To be honest, I wish I had discovered this sooner. I can put on eyeliner and lip gloss and look like I have applied foundation. I do need to use some clear primer just to give my skin a more matte look. I might at some point try some of the pricier tanning "oils" for black skin because I hear the effects are really nice and much longer-lasting. For now, this works and I will probably be keeping some of it around for a while.

I just remembered to mention something else. I was looking at some old photos of myself - photos from waaaay back, maybe when I was in my 30's - and I realized that aging has "faded" my color. This tanning lotion seems to have dialed 20 or more years off my skin tone. I have old photos in the sidebar of this blog where you can see what I mean. Anyway, I just wanted to add that bit of info.

Peace

--Free