Translate this blog....

Friday, July 08, 2022

Uh Oh, I Discovered eBay...

Sometimes one thing happens that works out really well with another thing that happens. The first thing that happened was that I got another one-size-fits-all check for my birthday. I seem to have family and friends who know that I am hard to shop for... So, I got a nice little check. I'm not mad.

The next thing that happened was that I made a new online buddy. She is smart and witty and fun. She immediately corrupted me. Immediately.

Let us stop for a moment and mourn G+.  It was such a place to meet acquaintances who share your likes and dislikes. And without all the posing that happens on Fakebook. No one pretended they were ever going to be friends in real life, most of us liked the anonymity of having online-only relationships. If you were into photography, you could find like-minded folk. I'm into blogging and there were a ton of bloggers on G+. Too bad it's long gone...

Anyway, I like Reddit (most of the time) a lot less than G+ but a lot more than Fakebook. And it was while I was on Reddit that the second thing happened. I was in a perfume forum, looking for help in finding affordable vintage perfumes. I'd gotten a suggestion from someone to go vintage for longer-lasting and nicer-smelling fragrances. There was something said about them often getting better with age. So I asked around on Reddit and the best response I got was from - let's call her "JB". 

JB's advised me to try eBay for finding vintage items. I said I didn't know how to use eBay. JB said it was easy. I went to eBay. JB is right. eBay is super easy. And now I am addicted.

I'm not yet addicted to buying everything I see but I already have a "watch list" a mile long. I really love being able to search for things so specifically. I don't like to pay for shipping and I would like free returns. I also love being able to check out the seller ratings and choosing from several other filters. It's so much better than Amazon and it absolutely is cheaper.

The other week, I bought a cheap bottle of Emeraude from Amazon. I think I paid less than 12 bucks for it. It is so weak that I would have been upset at paying half that...

Over on eBay, my first search was for "vintage Emeraude" (filters: under $10, free shipping, free returns). I also learned quickly to check those seller profile ratings. And BOOM, I found: 

" 'VINTAGE' EMERAUDE" BY COTY - SPRAY MIST .75 OUNCE BOTTLE - 90 % FULL"

The price? $7.99

Um, what??? 

I almost snapped a cap off my keyboard ordering that one. Not more than 4 hours later, I get a notice that the item has been shipped.

Once again - WHAT?

So I have to thank JB (who also is on Fragrantica as I am) but I had to self-impose some eBay rules on myself: 

  • Never spend more than $30 (s/h included) for perfume.
  • Never spend more than $15 on clothing.
  • Never shop there more than twice a month - unless in an emergency situation, such as needing an outfit for a wedding or something like that.
I think I will be fine now. As a matter of fact, I realized that if I buy all my hair care and clothing, and household decor from eBay instead of Amazon, I'll be ahead of the game. The thing I like most is being able to only choose items that have free shipping and free returns. That's better than Prime because, with eBay, a bad seller doesn't win. Your ratings have more impact - and there is a money-back guarantee. With Amazon, there's not always a choice of sellers and perfumes usually cannot be returned.

Now, keep in mind that I was able to break my twice-a-month rule when I got my other birthday check. I will keep you informed on the goodies later.

So, thanks a lot JB. You seem to be my kind of gal but I'm going to remember that it was you who turned me on to eBay!

Peace
--Free