Translate this blog....

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Mama Cozzi's Pizza Kitchen Pizza Dough

 Since Aldi is so much cheaper than the local Hyvee (and I mean so much cheaper!) it's my preferred Instacart store. Of course, Walmart is also cheaper than Hyvee and has a wider variety than either Aldi or Hyvee in every department. What Walmart does not have is a frustration-free membership program...

Anyway, I love my local Aldi store and have ever since I discovered their core brands. I'm not crazy about their line of coffee creamers but the ground coffee's not bad at all. It's the coffee that I keep around for any visitors who are not as picky about their java as I am. But the Aldi brand I love the most is Mama Cozzi's Pizza Kitchen.

If you have never tried one of the MCPK take-and-bake pizzas, you may have heard not-so-great things about them. But, if you use a few tricks when baking the pies, you have no idea what you're missing. When I went through a period of the blues, I would order a couple of those to have around. I would only fix half or a 4th of pizza at a time (the 16-inch pizzas barely fit my oven and done fit any of my pizza pans). 

As I said, you have to put a little spin on the basic baking technique with these pizzas. Personally, I like a crispier crust and bottom to my pie. I will sprinkle a little Italian seasoning and maybe some bacon bits on top of the pie, then oil the baking pan and the pizza crust with a little EVOO before baking. I find that EVOO works better for a crisp and chewy crust than I get when using butter.)  I'm having flashbacks of joy just thinking about it.

To be honest, though, because they are so huge, the take-and-bake pizzas are a little much when I'm not battling the blues. Having a much smaller option is possible if I make my own. Have you ever made pizza dough? I have and it was a nightmare. It's supposed to be so easy but... I can bake bread so I'm not sure what my problem is with pizza dough. By the time I get the dough ready, I'm out of the mood for the pizza. Well, Mama Cozzi has solved that dilemma...

This is a photo from Instacart because
my dough is frozen into a weird lump right now.

This dough is so versatile and I can sometimes get 3 small pizza crusts from the one 16-ounce bag. Depending on what I'm using the dough for, I can get a week's worth of snacks and nibbles from one bag. I've made pizza, garlic knots, and some weird-looking little pepperoni and mozzarella monstrosities that look horrible but taste amazing. Here are some recipe ideas from elsewhere.

The best thing is the price: $1.95 for the 16-ounce bag of dough. (Someone on Reddit says they found it for $0.95 so the price might depend on the store location.) Considering the fact that I can get at least 3 personal-sized crusts from one bag, I'm not complaining.

This dough keeps well in the freezer but I find that once you thaw it in the fridge, it's best to use it within a week unless you seal it really well. If I open and don't use a whole bag, I heat-seal the rest in an airtight bag. I usually use the rest of a bag within a couple of weeks at the longest. Also, I can use a whole bag to make garlic knots, freeze them to thaw and bake at my leisure.

Garlic knots
Not only is this dough perfect for pizza and other savory dishes but I've been able to use it with fruit and fruit spreads. I think the best sweet treat I made with the dough was a sort of baked peach rollup. You know, one of the tasty monstrosities I mentioned. I just rolled out the dough, brushed it with a little butter, and sprinkled it with a cinnamon-sugar mix before adding some peaches (small-chopped and well-drained) and rolling up into a log. I brushed the outer crust with a little butter halfway through baking, then sprinkled more of the sprinkle mix on top as soon as it came out of the oven. That was yummy. Next time, I plan to try incorporating some cream cheese into the recipe.

7-in pan pizza
When I'm feeling lazy, I go really simple by making some seasoned strips to nibble on. I roll out some of the dough and cut it into short, narrow strips. I brush the strips with a little EVOO and use whatever seasoning want - usually some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb or whatever and maybe a little sea salt - before I bake them up. I will eat them with a dipping sauce of Prego, Ragu, or whatever tomato-based product is on hand. 

That's what I mean when I say the dough is versatile. Now that I'm regularly doing intermittent fasting and only have so many hours in which to eat, I really like being able to whip up a quick meal. I just make sure that I keep some mozzarella, some pepperoni or ground sausage, and a sauce base around. 

Anyway, I just wanted to post about the dough. It's great for singles or families. Personally, I used to keep eggs and tuna around for quick meals. I'd make eggs and tuna for sandwiches or have eggs with rice or eggs and pancakes or waffles. That was before eggs became so pricey. The last time we were at the store, my brother joked that he was going to buy and raise chickens. At least, I think he was joking.

Well, I have to go move some dough from the freezer to thaw in the fridge. Tomorrow I'm making spinach and mushroom pie.

Peace

--Free