Translate this blog....

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

CROSS POST *BIBLE STUDY* My Method & Some Resource Links

 The Resource Links First:

I decided to rearrange this post & list the links first. My ramblings about my study methods and reasons will follow. Enjoy.

NOTE: I try to use free resources as often as I can and donate to the creators of the material. You can find almost everything I've mentioned (especially Chuck Missler's and Dr. Martin's videos on YouTube) through your local library and via their online resources. I did purchase my LTB24 via Amazon. My library has eBook and audiobook resources via Libby, Overdrive, and Hoopla Digital. Anyway, here you go:

Now, because I know I have too many resource links to list here, I am going to fall back on past posts that list some. Keep in mind, some posts are old so some links may need replacing.

 Intro to my study method:

In the past several weeks, I have gotten much deeper into Bible study. I am treating my time spent reading and studying God's Word as if it were a very important college course. I feel like I should know my Bible better than I know the storylines of TV shows or what's going on with the Kardashians.

Reading, studying, and knowing the Bible is, of course, the most important kind of intellectual pursuit for a Christian. Too often in the past, I have treated it as if it's a thing I do when I get around to it. These days, I am making time for it on a regular basis.

Because I have issues with memory and cognition, I was having a lot of trouble trying to study the Bible piecemeal or as an occasional thing. I can easily enjoy mindless and trivial things because they are not important. The Bible is very important to me so I wanted to find a way to grasp and retain as much of the study as I can.

I've talked before about how useful I find the eSword  Bible study program on my computer. It has so many (free) resources included (commentaries, dictionaries, various Bible versions, etc) that I have come to use all the time. However, one of the resources embedded into the program was difficult for me to use. The Notes and Journal tabs are fabulous for anyone with the average working brain. For me, I get tangled up in details and organization. It so happens that another resource I am using works perfectly in conjunction with eSword.

Most people who know me have heard me talk about my favorite Bible Study: Learn the Bible in 24 Hours from Koinonia House Ministries. Of course, you don't learn the Bible in that amount of time; the overall study is separated into 24 sections for small study groups (or solo students like myself) to easier digest. 

(By the way, this is a Google Books overview of the Learn the Bible in 24 Hours book.)

Materials used in my study routine:

I started the study (which I call LTB24) by watching a series of videos on YouTube. The late Chuck Missler has been a favorite Bible teacher of mine, along with Dr. Walter Martin. Missler doesn't skim through the lessons, he goes into detail, including a lot of scientific commentaries. Therefore, I ran into issues with my notetaking and organization again.

Finally, I managed to pull a personal study system together by using my Bible and Bible programs (like eSword) along with the YouTube videos and the LTB24 materials. Currently, this is what I have:


You can see how much room there is to write in notes in the books, by the way:

Get the workbook if you can (try to find it used) but it's not the most necessary of the set.
You can get a lined notebook 

This is what I use in my study to stay somewhat organized:

  • Pilot Frixion erasable pens (buy once and get refills where they are cheapest) and erasable highlighters. I use these with my Rocketbook where I keep doctor's appts and appt notes. They tend to run out of ink quicker than other brands of erasable ink but they are the best.  You can find them cheaper if you shop at Jet Pens and Walmart. Shop around. 
  • Re-stickable tabs like these. You can get them almost anywhere that has school supplies. I got a 500-piece set and have not had to buy anymore for over a year.
  • I use cheap, thin newsprint paper to take notes because the sheets fit in my Bible and books without taking up a lot of room. They are also easy to safely glue into my Bible (using re-positional glue!) so I don't lose the notes or damage my Bible. It's much better than buying the crazily expensive Post-It Notes. I fold and tear the newsprint to the size I need and 1 ream is still lost untouched after 2 years.

Each day that I am physically and cognitively well enough, I spend an hour or so in study. This system works out wonderfully. Even if my brain acts up and I need to re-do a previous lesson, I have organized notes and information to rely on.

If you are trying to commit to a fairly rigorous Bible Study for yourself (or your small study group), I highly recommend LTB24.

About the teachers I like:

Chuck Missler, as I've said, is a teacher who goes deep when it comes to his study sessions. And, yes, there has been some minor controversy about Missler. One thing that bothers some people is that he talks about "codes" found in the Bible and often speaks about equidistant letter spacing (ELS).

In defense of Missler (because I was concerned about the ELS stuff), he only mentions ELS info as something of curiosity and interest. He was a data information guy so this was interesting to his mind. He never bases doctrine on it; he only mentions it as a point of interest and as a side note to his sessions.

As for the other "codes" he speaks of, I'm in agreement with him. He was of the mind that the Bible is of intelligent design and that there are some things that show that. One for instance is the genealogy given in Genesis *** He points out the roots of the names given and shows how, together, they spell out the basic plan of salvation. He is not adding to the Bible in this; he is showing students that God's fingerprints are all over the Holy Bible.

Missler never tries to lead anyone away from the authority of the Bible and God. I am intelligent enough to pray and think for myself. If I found such small items (as the mention of the code and ELS) I can discard that without throwing out my entire study.

The other teacher I always respected is the late Dr. Walter Martin. I would read and listen to his teachings on discernment regarding cults and false teachers and false teachings. I recommend looking up videos of his debates with the spokespeople of various sects and religions. His book (again, here is an overview from Google BooksKingdom of the Cults is a great resource for anyone trying to understand the many, many cults and false religions. 

**Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed. I did tell you I did some rearranging! I sure hope this is helpful to anyone trying to start a serious study of the Bible from home.**

Peace
--Free