Translate this blog....

Monday, March 11, 2024

Asurion Is… Not Worth It. At All.

 For years, I've been cautious when buying appliances - small and large. If I get them from Amazon, I always buy an Asurion plan. I figured, why not? It's a few dollars (usually) for peace of mind. For example, when I bought a food sealer, the Asurion plan was under 6 bucks. And how reassuring does it sound that they make replacements and repairs seem so easy and convenient? Well, notice my input (in bold):

  • No Additional Cost: You pay $0 for repairs – parts, labor, and shipping included. (But I will have to find a UPS store and get the item there to send. NOTE: I don't drive. BTW - you have to print your own shipping label.)
  • Coverage: Plan starts on the date of purchase. Drops, spills and cracked screens due to normal use covered for portable products and power surges covered from day one. Malfunctions covered after the manufacturer's warranty. (My problem was a broken minor part. I asked for a part replacement but they want the entire item back.)
  • Easy Claims Process: File a claim anytime online at www.Asurion.com/Amazon or by phone. Most claims approved within minutes. We will send you an Amazon.com Gift Card for the purchase price of your covered product. (Not so fast! You don't get that refund UNTIL they get the item shipped back to them.) In some instances, we will replace or repair it. (Yeah, right.)
  • Product Eligibility: Plan must be purchased with a product or within 30 days of the product purchase. Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
  • Terms & Details: More information about this protection plan is available within the “Product guides and documents” section. Simply click “User Guide” for more info. Terms & Conditions will be available in Your Orders on Amazon. Asurion will also email your plan confirmation with Terms & Conditions to the address associated with your Amazon account within 24 hours of purchase.

Most insulting of all, I'm pretty sure I might have been chatting with an AI when I was starting a claim. If not, the "humans" were easily confused with basic conversation and questions.

I can't really even be mad. People did warn me about buying these plans. Now that I have gone and bumped my hard head against the wall of reality, I will go a safer route. From now on, I will make sure to use a credit card so that I get some reassurance at least. And at no additional cost.

The item I was trying to get a part for cost under 35 bucks. The plan was under 6 bucks. Trying to get the replacement would cost, gas, wear and tear on a vehicle and the hassle of finding a UPS store. Not to mention, the original box and packing has been disposed of - because I have the item for almost a year. I suppose I was going to have to purchase the "bubblewrap and boxing" for the return.

So, yeah. No more Asurion for this gal. It would be easier to just replace the items in most cases. 

I'm not telling anyone not to bother buying an Asurion plan; I'm just telling you how that worked out for me! And this is the one and only time I've ever tried making a claim. 

I have to go now. I'm off to see if my credit card can help me out with this situation...

Peace

--Free