Translate this blog....

Sunday, May 05, 2024

I Am Such A Boomer (When It Comes to TikTok)

I have developed a habit. Whenever I have to be down for a couple of days to recuperate (and I'm not proud of this)... I love watching YouTubers react to TikTok videos. And as a Boomer, I can be so stereotypically critical. 

TikTok is so full of self-styled experts on almost everything. One guy talking about space not being real proclaimed himself (with all earnestness) to be an "investigative journalist".

There are the Tokkers (is that what they are?) who talk a lot about UFOs, the Annunaki, and the other "fallen" entities or even underwater worlds; there are the ones who love to look beautiful (or handsome) while they point upwards at someone else's content (one girl's false eyelashes were so huge they could have fanned and cooled a whole house; and then, there are the ones who never fail to annoy me with their constant exclamations of  "Y'all", "bro" (or "bruhhhh") and so on. There is one guy who I've come to dislike so much that I can identify him by voice. I can be going into a deep doze, but as soon as I hear his annoying "Y'all. Yawl!" I can't fast-forward past his segment quickly enough.

Not only does the Boomer in me get tired of the Y'all-ing and bro-ing, but I really hate the way Tokkers curse as if they just became grown enough to do so yesterday. I miss a lot of content because I can wear out the L on my keyboard fast-forwarding through all the ridiculous and needless cursing. It's almost as if some people cannot articulate a thought without using some foul word or phrase. 

Another thing my inner Boomer hates is the sheer ignorance of some of the Tokkers. I'm not being high-minded here. I know that I am not the brightest person around, but... I have listened to grown Tokkers - some of them at least in their late 20s and older - show a complete lack of knowledge about some very basic things. Some of them don't know about major world events of the last 15 or 25 years. One person was puzzled by some general political history - so general that I have 13-year-old relatives who are aware of the information.

watching some creator "content"
"The strangest thing about the ignorance I've seen is that a lot of the Tokkers (in these examples) claim to be college-educated.

Now - to be clear, when I say I'm not the brightest person around, I'm serious. I remember feeling overwhelmingly embarrassed once when I (as a not-so-young adult) was in the company of some much younger European-educated kids. They knew more about American politics, geography, and even our economic policies than I ever learned about while in school. It was then that I decided to clean up some of my knowledge shortcomings.

I do get secondhand embarrassed for the folks who seem not to have mastered even middle school language skills. It's my opinion that young people (and some of them not so young) are educated by their social media use and have forgotten skills they were taught in school. I have heard content creators string together words in ways that make my brain cringe. Sometimes, they are so confident in their use of bad grammar that I question if they said anything incorrectly!

Anyway.

The other thing I notice about these videos is that it's weird in the first place that someone's content is just them reacting to another content creator. What gets weirder is when the situation multiplies... That's happened more than once. I will be watching YouTuber 1 responding to a video of TikTokker1 who happens to be playing the content of TikTokker 2. It can be like wandering into a digital hall of mirrors.

 Of course, while I'm doing all this criticizing, I am subscribed to at least half a dozen of these reaction channels. Sometimes, I do chores while watching them on the television. That's much better than seeing the videos on a smaller computer screen.

One of my favorite things while watching these reaction videos is to keep another tab open on a search site. I will pause the video to go over and Google topics like "Who is Billy Carson and why is he so annoying?" Once, feeling like a complete idiot, I Googled "Was there really a nuclear emergency warning recently?" Yeah, I really did that.

Not all Tokkers are full of crap. Some of them do talk about interesting things. I've seen a couple of Toks (again, is that a thing?) showing feel-good content. One was about a homeless kid who got his life together and is now helping others. 

Not all Tokkers are full of crap but a lot of them are sure full of themselves. They like to create new conspiracy theories or inflate old ones. Some of them are just pure entertainers who have a cool schtick. One guy is so personable that I enjoy watching him talk his nonsense. 

After all the videos (Toks?) I've watched, I still don't understand the pointy-finger madness...

I point to look... smart???

One day, I'm going to find a reaction video full of Toks that are totally believable. In the meantime, it's going to be my guilty pleasure to hear Tokkers go on ranting about their collective consciousness or some special vibration they follow, and so on. It's not always a bad way to spend some sick time.

Peace

--Free



P.S.: Well, y'all, I hope this post is fairly error-free. It's been a rough weekend. Peace!