Translate this blog....

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Amazon & Walmart "Sales"? Maybe

 Well, it's that time of year. Amazon just finished their "Prime Day" and Walmart is just getting started with "Deals" day. While Amazon did a little bit of exaggerating here and there, Walmart put them to shame.

Did I shop Prime Day? A bit. I only bought things I needed and things where I knew the non-Prime Day price average. But I stayed so far away from Walmart's "deals" that I almost fell off the globe.

Amazon did have some decent price drops but the search was arranged in such a way that so many other things caught your eye. (We will talk another day about Bill-Trill Bezos cheaping out on the Amazon search engine. Oh, we will talk!) 

To be fair, I found the biggest Amazon exaggeration trumpeted (as savings) on another site. I immediately spotted the forked tongue because I actually bought this item last month when I got my new phone.

From "Market Watch Picks" today

And... what I paid when I ordered on Sept 27 (delivered the 29th)
Not $29.00

As you can see, either that Prime Deal price hit 14 days before the actual sale, or I am hallucinating. 

However, I did find a few things that were an actual sale on Amazon. I didn't score any huge savings on things I normally use (regular household stuff), but I did notice some great savings on things I have on my "Dream List". There were handbags that I can't afford, sale or no sale, but that I know had big price drops. Of course, that doesn't help me, but it shows that Amazon had some actual sale items. By the way, if you want to know the prices on luxury goods, ask any broke person you meet!

Some of the other stuff on sale at Amazon ran from "Meh" to being just plain junk. In another case of something I previously bought that went on sale, there were some phone cases. The thing is, I bought one of those cases in September and it was trash. It did go on a bit of a sale but it wasn't worth the original or the sale price. I returned mine when it started coming apart after just a couple of days. It's one of those things that belongs in a thrift store "Under $0.99 Bin"...

But back to Walmart telling their whoppers. I can't believe they have the nerve to advertise some stuff as being on sale. Trust me, I know Walmart (as a shopper) better than founders - and, yeah, I know that's nothing to brag about - and these items are an example of liar, liar, pants, house, and car on fire.

These tops are so blatantly barely worth the so-called sale price that it hurts my eyes to look at them:

Ain't nobody paying $60 to $70 for that. Not from Walmart

That was such a huge fish tale that I was left gaping at the page. That was a lie worthy of my uncle "Louis" and he lied so much we had a saying in the family that went "if he says the sky is overhead, you better go check". Yeah. Stop it, Walmart.

Anyway...

I must say that I am really pleased with the restraint I showed during this year's Prime Day. I spent less that $45 and that was for things I normally get for the house. Look at me, over here living within my means!

Peace

-- Free