Translate this blog....

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Makeup & Labels

I was thinking about how much attention I pay to food labels. I pay a lot of attention to almost anything I plan to eat. What I don't often do is take a good look at labels on my cosmetics. The other day, I did notice something about the foundation I use:

Revlon Photo Ready in shade 012/Mocha. I love this stuff because it works so well with my Garnier 5 Sec Blur. Actually what I love is that it doesn't look fake-ish and it doesn't easily streak and leave messy marks on clothing.

What I really like is the attached labeling - at least I did, once I paid attention to it:


Is sunscreen really the reason people buy this?
 I don't know about you, but I have never really bought foundation makeup for the purpose of using it as a sunscreen.
Also, I don't "apply liberally" or reapply ever 2 hours. I'm a once-in-the-morning user. I might blot my face with my makeup sponge a couple of times a day - if I'm feeling sweaty.




Who knew that all this info was included with the product? Not me because, if I notice it at all, I immediately rip off and toss any tags as trash.

Now that I have noticed the information, I have to say that I'm pleased that it's included. When I looked through the rest of my bag of tricks and illusions makeup, I realized that most products don't give such detailed notes.

Now, on to the main point of this post. When I took a closer look at the 2 main ingredients in this (and in many other) makeup, I went from pleased to alarmed to "Huh?" in about ten minutes. Why?

  • Because of the titanium dioxide skin-protection factors such as those mentioned here
  • Until I realized it might be dangerous because of what I read here
  • And then, I read this (which is a bit calming) and threw my hands up in surrender
I don't even want to look at the other ingredients. Bottom line is, I'll get worried if I notice my skin reacting badly. In the meantime, I'm going to just accept that if the makeup hasn't killed me yet, oh well. As the kids say:  #YOLO.


Thanks to Revlon for at least fully labeling a product. And thanks to them for having a decent shade of makeup for darker skin.

Peace
--Free

P.S.: Sorry that I'm slacking on posting & social networking (and responding to everyone online). It's been a rough couple of weeks. I'm now sitting here in the middle of all my boxes, with 6 days left to be out of this place. When Monday comes around and folks are looking for dependable old me to be there, I'm going to keep sitting here just taking care of me for once. Just venting.