Translate this blog....

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

**QUICKIE POST** If You Miss Pixlr Desktop

Once upon a time, I loved using the Pixlr desktop for prettying up the photos I use for the reviews here on the blog. And then Desktop Pixlr went away. This was way back in 2017. But I had the old download and it still worked. About 3 months ago, Windows ate the downloaded exe.

still have this un-usable thing on my PC

I still use the Pixlr phone app (until that goes away, maybe).

right next to some other phone faves

I do not like anything about the online version of Pixlr. Not one thing. What I loved about the old Pixlr for desktop was that it had so many easy to use tools for my simple mind. I don't need to do anything fancy for my photos. I don't want to do extensive image manipulations or deal with too many graphics choices. All I need is to be able to easily rotate, crop, add text, and make some minor adjustments to contrast, sharpen, etc.

I looked for alternatives but they were all either too limited or too complicated. I ended up using MS Paint for a while but it is kind of limited - plus, I heard it might be going away and I don't at all like that silly MS Paint 3D. I can't even figure out how to use it.

Anyway, I tried a bunch of different apps from the Windows Store and then I tried finding Pixlr alternatives. I went here and here for that. I tried GIMP (too much going on with the toolbars there) and Adobe (more than I need), and on and on. Every now and then, I would run across something that was almost as good as Pixlr, then I would notice something the program couldn't do - or didn't do as well. Finally, I lucked up on this in the Windows Store (of all places!):

Goodbye Pixlr.  Hello PhotoScape X!


Cue the heavenly choir. This is not only as good as Pixlr, it's so much better. SO much better.

One of the things I loved so much about Pixlr was the layout of the tools and how easily I could do basic things: add text, change text, choose colors, sharpen images, etc.

PhotoScape kicks Pixlr's butt. It does everything that Pixlr did and more. My favorite thing is being able to compare the Before and After photos that I am working with. Even better - the free version of PhotoScape X is better than anything Pixlr ever had.

I like this app so much that I want to support it. I am going to buy the paid version at some point even though I don't need it for most of what I do. I'm just so freaking happy to have something this good.

So, if you, like me, have been looking for a good photo editor... you're welcome.

Peace
--Free




Because I have always thought Joe Elliot was so hot. Tall too. Mercy.