Translate this blog....

Friday, January 03, 2020

**SIFO** Newest Superfoods?

This is the first of what I'm calling Stuff I Found Out (SIFO - sigh-fo)  posts that might pop up from time to time. This will be things I hear about in the news that I usually only share with my family and friends because they haven't heard about it or don't have time to read the source. Here we go...

SOURCE: Article on Chowhound (that I found via the Flipboard app) about new Superfoods.

TLDR Summary: (links added are from me)

  • Nervines - a new set of herbs. In the class of herbs known as "adaptogens" that possibly help us combat stress and jitters. Nervines? Think herbs for your nerves.
  • Chlorella - algae described as a "complete protein" that is high in B12 and other good stuff. Can be used in powder form to add to soups and salads. (This was a big thing back in Alaska around 6 years ago. The health food stores would put this right on the end of aisles because people were always coming in looking for it.)
  • Raw Cacao - is up there with the whole "dark chocolate is good for you" craze. It's high in a lot of good stuff - like antioxidants and has protein and fiber. I will say 2 things here: 1) I actually have used Cacao powder for a few years now and I got my huge bag from Amazon. I add it to my coffee and teas. I will add a photo later in this post 2) I saw an episode of that silly show "Mom" where Bonnie and Adam have a tiff when she eats his chocolate bar made with "Ka-Kow!". It's different from 'regular' choc.
  • Fiber - Key to regulating blood sugar and bowel movements. Enough said there.
  • Pre-biotics - The popular pro-biotics feed off of pre-biotics. Pre-b's, like fiber, are good for gut health. (I recently started trying to find a decent set of pre-and pro-biotics. It's a bit of a struggle finding something reasonably priced that works consistently.)
  • Digestive bitters - These stimulate your body's efforts to break down foods. (I only think of booze when I hear "bitters"!) There is a brand of bitters (for digestive enzymes, not cocktails) listed but the article recommends using bitter herbal teas. Here's Wiki on bitters.
And here is the brand of cacao that I have used. Got my first bag around 4 years ago and it lasted for... possibly 18 months I am guessing. I got my next half-pound bag at a health food store not too long after I moved here and I still have most of it left. It doesn't take much added to my coffee (especially Keto coffee) or tea to give it a real yum yum flavor. If you have to drink black coffee, this is the way to do it! I keep some in a cannister on the counter and the rest heat-sealed in a bag in the freezer.



 Peace
--Free







This is one of my favorite songs.
I watched a documentary about the late Prince the other night. I thought about him when I was writing this post. He was rumored to be a health freak like some of us. The thing is, our mental health may be more important because it has to affect everything else, right Take care of all that you are, folks.

.