Translate this blog....

Tuesday, February 04, 2020

**REVIEW** Keyboard Cover (by Forito)

I may or may not have complained here about my ASUS laptop. It's a refurb that is by now a little over 3 years old. When I got it, I was in love with it because 1 - I got it at a decent price, and 2- It had a lot of storage and RAM. Okay, and it really is a cute little laptop.

How-ever...

Right after the first year, some of the keyboard letters started wearing off. Also, the overall finish was so cheap that in places where I had taped a couple of little notes for myself, the thin veneer stripped right off when I removed the tape. Ugh.

I can't do anything about the stripped spots and, honestly, I don't care that much. But I really became annoyed with the letters and numbers wearing away. In the past, I touch-typed over 75 to 85 wpm and didn't need to see the keys. Since my Sarc, I can sometimes type well by feel but hardly ever just by touch. Besides, why weren't the keys embossed in the first place? I mean, come on no, ASUS...

Enough griping. I have been having a rough time the past several weeks. Between the missing key labels and my tired brain, it can take me 2 days to write a semi-decent post. One day, it took me half an hour to write a simple email. I needed a solution. A cheap solution. Because I was getting ready to paint letters on with a White Out pen.



I was excited when I saw the keyboard cover. I can't believe I hadn't already known there was such a thing. When it arrived, I was a little worried. Now that I am using it, I am happy.


Look how stark the lettering is!

My initial excitement was because this was so affordable, had a 4-star rating of almost 200 reviews. I got worried when the package arrived and this is what I saw:



Wait. What???

After giving it a try, I am very happy. I thought that the cover would have really deep wells in between the keys and rows and I worried that the thing would be sliding all over the place as I used it. Nope. Not a problem.

The cover is made of this really soft silicone that lightly adheres to the original keyboard. ("Adheres". Look at me using hefty words in proper context!) When laid over the keyboard, the cover does have noticeable wells between keys and lines.




One worry I did have was whether this would cause overheating. It does completely cover every part of the keyboard. After some thought, I realized that it's not covering any of the vents. I will, of course, keep an eye on this just in case.

The last thing to think about was whether or not this would stick to the screen when leaving the laptop closed for an extended period. I did a test of leaving the lid down for - and I am guessing because I forgot to time it - about 5 hours. No problems.

I plan to do a great job of cleaning the original keyboard one day. This cover is going to help keep out dust, eraser crumbs and all kinds of gunk. Not to mention that the letters on the cover are much sharper and easier to see. Even the top row of special keys are sharp. It's better than what I was working with...




Finally, I do have a big complaint. These letters are not embossed into the silicone - or even printed underneath - so I'm not sure how long it will be before they start to wear off. Let me quit griping. I spent under 7 bucks on something that is saving me so much hassle and frustration. Totally worth it!


Peace
--Free




Sometimes, all you can do is hum.


She's singing about a man. 
I rarely listen to lyrics. I'm humming my thanks to God.