Translate this blog....

Friday, April 30, 2021

Making Cosmetics for Fun or Profit?

WHY THIS POST?

I have blogged here before about a site I occasionally shop from or just use for info. I think this was my very first post about Making Cosmetics. I have only ordered from their site a few times - including for the most recent purchase but I got very my first M.C. product from their Amazon storefront. That was before I knew they had their own site.

Anyway...

That's the Nars looking reddish
Since I have been fussing and ranting these past few weeks about not being able to find a good drugstore foundation with a red undertone in it, I finally decided it was DIY time again. The first M.C. item I purchased was some Wrinkle Blur powder as a substitute for an expensive O.T.C. product that I loved. I can't believe I didn't think of the site from the start of my foundation troubles.

Other than the so-perfect-but-unaffordable Nars, I think I have 4 foundations that I can make work for my skin tone but that would be awesomely perfect if they had that tiny bit of red undertone that the Nars Khartoum does. Well, I am not throwing that stuff out like somebody with more money than sense. If I have to, I will keep wearing a little of my Butter blush underneath the foundation even though it's a real pain to get just right. Right now, foundations all leave me with a nice finish but are just a little bit... off from my natural coloring. One of the best quality foundations makes me look a whole other race. I priced some of those shade-adjusting drops and couldn't even find the colors I needed. That left me in a ditch. I have makeup for days but none of it is absolute perfection.

LOVE this blush for
 cheeks and lips

So... I could use up all my blush to tint my foundation or I could try something else. (My blush is Butter London Cheeky Cream Blush that is not even sold on their site anymore and which I got as a gift from my late sister some years back while visiting Arizona... Yeah. I don't want to use it all up. The blush is more than a product I just don't want to run out of; it represents memories and love and it is also as cute as heck.)








The "something else option" that I figured out is the best way to go. It's also the cheapest way. (Took me forever to get here, didn't it?)

So. I've ordered three items from Making Cosmetics that I can use to customize my foundations to my liking. (I hope.) In the MC category of Colors and Color Blends, this is what I'm going to use:
  • Iron Oxide Brown (Liquid) - Makeup Brown Pigment Blend Dispersed in Oil (to deepen the shades that are currently slightly too light).
  • Iron Oxide Red (Liquid) - Makeup Brown Pigment Blend Dispersed in Oil (to add to the red tones in some of the items).
  • Mica Blackstar Red - Fine Dark Red Lustre (For adding some red to the other products).
I know that I will have to experiment. I figure that I might even end up blending together some of the red colorants with the brown pigment to get a shade I can add to a couple of the foundations. To be as frugal as possible, I only got a teaspoon of each colorant. I love that I could order such a tiny amount. Apparently, from what I've researched (hi, Google), it won't take much for what I need. And if I have to go back for different colors/pigments later, I will stick to my teaspoon quantity. (Too bad brands won't sell foundation by the teaspoon so we could find a good shade without going broke.)

Anyway.

See my plan here? If I have to, I will start just getting the stuff to make my own foundation from scratch...

All told, I spent fourteen dollars to (again, hopefully) try fixing at least fifty dollars worth of makeup. Maybe one day I will try making my own line of foundation. It's totally possible.




THE FOR FUN and/or PROFIT PART


Now, I mainly wrote this post to let other women know about the items available on Making Cosmetics. I have never had a problem with them (except when they discontinued some fragrances I loved) as far as quality or customer service. Also, they have a points reward type system based on dollars spent.

Making Cosmetics has been the only place I get items to DIY it with my makeup but they have potential competition. Here are some other places to check out for ingredients or just products that might be hard to find for some reason:

  • Inolex (a "specialty ingredients company") I really need to look this one over.
  • Althea (for "getting you K-beauty fix outside of Korea" they ship to the USA and elsewhere) I saw a Water Sleeping Mask in the skincare section and...
  • Lucas Meyer Cosmetics - They have a variety of natural products that look interesting.
  • PCA Skin's site is "under construction" but I found some PCA stuff here & here. They might be other places. I will check back on the brand site to see what's up.
  • Hermo appears to be Malaysian and they have a global store site here. For some of my many Asian sisters.
I am sure there are many more places to find and buy ingredients to make or rig your existing products. I like Making Cosmetics because of the detailed information they provide and their onsite resources. They have a large resource section, formulas for newbies, equipment and kits and, if you are timid or just want to go big and produce stuff for sale, they offer both formulating and consulting services.

If you do decide to play around with some DIY cosmetics, this is another good site for looking up info on ingredients - what they do and how they might react together, etcetera. The most important thing is to do your research, check for allergies and BE CAREFUL. DIY projects mean the work put in is all on you and you have to use your head. I am not a professional at anything other than running my mouth so, again, use your head.

To summarize:

You can make and create your own cosmetics. You can create cosmetics for your own use or you can create cosmetics to sell as a niche brand. Do your research. Find reputable suppliers for ingredients. Ask questions. 

Peace
--Free

UPDATE: The products arrived just after this was scheduled to post so I will be doing a show and tell post asap. (Anybody else bored to tears with this COVID lockdown????)