Translate this blog....

Saturday, September 11, 2021

UPDATE **Culture Curious** Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

Here in the United States, Seattle seems to be the coffee hub. However, I have never, ever liked Starbucks. Whenever I visited Seattle, I tried to avoid the franchise. I would instead stop in at small and independent cafes. Being from Anchorage, I was spoiled. You couldn't drive more than 4 or 5 blocks down any well-traveled street without seeing a coffee set-up. (Check these images and see if I am lying.) I'm not talking just cafes or shops. I'm talking about little trailers converted into coffee drive-throughs. Almost any morning commuter had a couple of favorite coffee stops.

No matter where I am in the world, nm favorite coffee place of all time will always be Kaladi Brothers. They had a cafe not far from where I lived where I spent a lot of weekends. My coworkers and I made a habit of stopping in to pick up bags of coffee for the office.

Now here is something about Alaska and Alaskans: it is a friendly place with a lot of friendly people. You can end up in an hour-long chat with a stranger you ran into at Walmart or in the aisles of Costco. We love to meet and greet and we have generous hearts. 

Recently, I was trying to choose a coffee to buy online from Kaladi Brothers (yes, you do need to go over and check them out!). Now that I am such a coffee wanna-be-hipster, I was having trouble deciding what to select first. And I wanted to check on shipping. I emailed them. Someone emailed me back. Both of us being long-time Alaskans, we continued having a multi-email conversation over several days. I had to catch up on how the town has been doing and my correspondent got to hear all about Iowa. I could never stop mentioning how I love Iowa but miss Alaska. A few days later, I got a package that made me teary-eyed. It was a box full of 6 different blends of coffee and a Kinto Slow Brewer Mug.




That was just so I could feel a little closer to home. That's how we Alaskans look out for each other. 

So, yeah. I am an Alaskan so I love my coffee. 

As someone who never traveled much outside of the USA and who can not travel much now, I like exploring the best ways I can. Thankfully, we have the internet and libraries, and people we can turn to. 

Recently, since I was bitten by the java bug, I've been interested in how and why other cultures enjoy coffee. I thought I would tell you about the coffee I have gotten to try so far. All without leaving my little cubbyhole of an apartment in the Midwest.

Cuban Coffee - 

To me, Cuban coffee is about flavor and a cultural style. I always imagine pretty women and strong, handsome men - or wise old men and women - sitting over small cups of coffee in cafes and kitchens. To me, Cubans are like Southerners and all about family and community.

wonder what everyone's chatting about?

I have tried more than a few brands of Cuban-style coffee. My favorite of all is Naviera Cuban Style Dark Roasted Coffee. I think the thick taste and creamy feel of this coffee comes from the added chicory. And I do love my chicory in coffee. It comes in a 14-ounce brick for around $9 if you get it on Amazon. The Naviera website offers free shipping and promotion discounts. (By the way, I will probably never again buy Cafe Du Monde with chicory now that I have tasted Naviera. CDM now tastes like really bad water to me now.)

The other Cuban-style coffee brands I have tried were either decent or horrible - in my opinion. If I am in a hurry to buy some, I will get the good old standby that can be found in most local stores: Cafe Bustelo. It's cheap and strong and - again, my opinion here - tasty. But it's not a rich and satisfying as Naviera. Cuba Mia was bland and horrible. Kahwa was decent but I won't be running to buy more anytime soon. I could not wait to order more Naviera. And I can't quit talking about it either!

Espresso blends - 

The Bustelo, Kahwa, Naviera, and Cuba Mia can all fall into this category but I really think of them differently. Now, Medaglia D'Oro is the one espresso blend that I really disliked. It wasn't horrible or anything, but it was so "blah" and forgettable. On the other hand, it's ridiculously cheap so... I think that it's a coffee that I would need to make as a pour-over or in an actual stove-top espresso maker to appreciate.

Turkish Coffee - 

Now, this is a really new area for me. When I think of Turkish coffee, I imagine wizened bedouins getting the flavor of the coffee just so. I don't really think of one cultural style because I can picture everyone from Turks, Greeks,  and Africans making and enjoying this coffee. The idea makes me want to visit some exotic place and sit in a plaza having coffee with the locals.


I have only tried 2 brands -  or types - of Turkish coffee. I tried the first one after learning that it is a brand that is both well-known and well-loved by people who drink Turkish coffee. The Mehmet Efendi Turkish Coffee came up on almost every list I checked when looking for recommendations. 


Nice set if it wasn't so beat up


The other Turkish coffee I chose was for health reasons. I have always heard that cardamom is a spice with health benefits. I can remember my mother using cardamom once years ago - or maybe it was some other elder woman in the family? I have no idea what it tastes like but I heard that it's a popular addition to Turkish coffee. So I got a small packet of Elite Turkish Coffee With Cardomom. 

Because I didn't go completely authentic with the espresso by purchasing a Moka pot or other specifically-made brewer (too pricey), I took the chance with Turkish coffee. Actually, it was easy to do so because one of the coffee packages includes a little stainless steel pot. 

And... for the future?

Sometime in the future, I hope to try coffee from other places around the world. I have been compiling a list from some online sources:

This NPR article was interesting. I found it while trying to understand if there is a difference between Turkish and Greek coffee.

I will be blog more of these Culture Curious posts for things I find most interesting to investigate. When I try something new, I will post under the "I Tried" heading. Right now, it's all about coffee but later, I hope to get into a lot of areas. 

Peace
--Free