Translate this blog....

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A Life Without Purses

 Some people are going to hate me for this but...

How do men live without purses? They do, of course, but I just don't understand how.

For me, carrying a purse is only a fashion statement because there are such cute purses. Mainly, I carry a purse because I wouldn't be able to live comfortably without doing so. If there were no cute purses and I couldn't make a cute purse, I'd carry a sack filled with smaller sacks.

Some women say they can't live without cute shoes or a certain perfume. I can but don't want to live without a purse. It doesn't have to be fancy, pricey, trendy, high-end, or on one of those must-have lists. It only needs to suit my needs for the day. I have thrift-shop purses, designer purses, purses that I was given, purses I traded for, and purses that I inherited.  

If I had to leave my house with just what I could carry in my hands, I would need many pairs of hands. I'd be carrying that sack of sacks or wearing clothes with huge pockets.

Men like to joke about women and their purses. Until they need something. They know that we could survive a 10-day car trip with just what's in our purses. A few years ago, while on a road trip with my family, I rode in the car with one of my brothers. When he cut his hand checking a tire, I had bandaids. When he wanted gum, I had it. He wanted tissue to clean the top of his soda can. Had it. After finding in my bag the fifth or sixth thing he needed, he called my Rosetti the clown car purse. He can laugh all he wants but he wouldn't have survived 5 hours in the car without me and my bag.

I really do marvel at how a man can leave the house with just his wallet and keys. I need, at minimum:

  • tissues
  • hand wipes
  • antibacterial gel
  • face mask
  • lotion (regular and extra moisturizing)
  • lip balm (the really good kind that costs too much and the cheap kind for when I don't want to waste the really good kind)
  • hair barrettes
  • reading glasses
  • sunglasses
  • portable phone chargers (I have two because one might run out of juice)
  • USB C charging cable (for my phone)
  • USB B (for my earbud case)
  • gum and breath mints
  • hard candy
  • perfume (for day)
  • perfume (for evening)
  • perfume (for day & evening)
  • face cream
  • sunscreen
  • small tin of deodorant (he-ey Tussy!)
  • pantyliners
  • bandaids
  • eyedrops
  • vitamins, aspirin, and cold tabs
  • Benadryl tablets and Benadryl cream
  • small bottle of top coat nail polish
  • tube of Manuka honey for blemishes, burns, and cuts
  • small tube of hair gel (to tame those edges)
  • compact mirror
  • blotting tissues
  • small notebook and pen
  • vape pen, vape juice, and vape batteries
Oh - and my wallet. I love those slimline designs because they don't take up a lot of room. I mean, you just have to be prepared.
$8 from Poshmark

I once had to catch a plane to get to my family when there was an illness. I had an hour to pack a small piece of luggage and get to the airport across town. I made the plane with a pair of sneakers, a pair of dress flats, a pair of heels, 2 changes of clothing, 3 days' change of underwear, and my trusty purse. I had no problems looking decent, smelling nice, and dealing with my headaches.

On TV, they talk about bugout bags. I don't have time for all that. My purse is the only "go" bag I need. And it usually is a cute one with a shoulder strap and handles. 

There are days when I still tear up thinking about the handbags I had to leave behind when I moved here. I made sure they all went to good homes. Their new owners update me from time to time on how well the bags are doing. There was one leather bag that I gave to a really good friend. She had it died and reconditioned so, after 5 years, it's looking almost better than new.

If I had money, I would own as many purses as my closet or a spare room could hold. Alas, I'm stuck with very little leftover money after bills. Thank God for Poshmark, eBay, and Mercari. And that little thrift store I used to frequent back before the pandemic. I can't wait until they get back into full swing.

Usually, I carry basic bags - no visible advertising for a hoity-toity designer - and I don't mind. As long as they are sturdy and not ugly, I'm happy. My go-to bag for the past several months has been a Leibskind (or, and LB, as my friend calls it)  that I snagged off Poshmark for under $30. 



It's vintage and probably sold new for around $300 or $400. I can't believe people pay that much for a bag. Well, the old lady me can't believe it. The younger me once spent $500 for a bag. I still regret that to this day.  It was an ugly Dooney & Burke bag that looked like something a Victorian-era doctor would carry.

I can literally pack to travel with this bag  - the LB, I mean. And I actually have. I once took a day trip with nothing but this bag and a change of clothes I packed in with my laptop in its case. True story. 

When I was married (the first time), I didn't mind when I had to carry his keys and extras in my bag. This was during the heyday of that fashion wart called the "fanny pack" and sure didn't want him rocking that thing. (I actually have one myself now but, I'm old and single so I'm allowed.) My second husband never remembered to carry anything. I had to always hand him the keys so he didn't walk out without them...

So I have to admire (or feel sorry for) men who can live without a purse. I don't know how they do it - especially if they are single or have a woman who putzes around with one of those dainty little only-for-show bags. Ugh.

Men, I need to know your secret.

Peace
--Free