Translate this blog....

Thursday, September 29, 2022

This Electrolux Vacuum...

One of my favorite subreddits is Buy It For Life. Every time I see an old-school appliance that someone's parents passed down (and now they've had it for for 15 years going on forever), I hope I will run across one that I can afford. Well, you can't beat free. I finally got a BIFL appliance.

So the other day, I snagged an Electrolux Epic Series 6500 SR vacuum. It's used and is missing a couple of basic accessories. Still, I couldn't be more excited. An Electrolux? A working Electrolux? What a find. 

My mom had a used one that she got when I was in my lower single-digit years and she used it until I was about 14 or 15 (?). That thing never broke down. It did get 'lost' during one of our final military moves - which means that someone from the moving company wanted a good vacuum... After that, Mom got a Kirby. I didn't like Kirby vacs because they were so freaking heavy and cumbersome. I sure do wish I had that old Electrolux though.

This one is in good shape and it works wonderfully. It sure puts my Bissell upright to shame - and I do love my Bissell. The only thing wrong with this Electrolux is that the On-Off foot button does nothing. I have to unplug the vacuum to turn it off. Also, the handle for the floor attachment doesn't lock so I have to hold it to make sure it doesn't come unattached. That's not a huge deal and I am sure I can get a replacement. My brother is going to look at the foot button to see why it's not working.

You can see there are no
accessories attached to
the canister

There was even a clean bag in the vacuum. The after-filter needs to be replaced but it's not totally necessary for basic use. At least, that is what I heard in one video about the machine.

Please, Lord, let this vacuum truly be a BIFL item!

I'd already just vacuumed the apartment so I didn't think I'd be able to test the 'Lux. Still, I ran it across the living room carpet just to see what I was working with... And, boy, what I am working with is a machine so effective that I'm willing to buy any replacement parts and attachments needed. 

Running that 'Lux across my already "clean" carpet made me do a double-take. The Bissell picks up the general dust and small debris and my carpets do usually look clean. After I used the 'Lux, I could see a bit of a difference. The carpet looked more plumped and "refreshed" - almost as if I'd steamed it. Plus, I could get the 'Lux into places too low for the Bissell. Like all the way under my weird bed frame.

Apartment carpeting is generally cheap and crappy. Mine is not the cheapest or worst though. It was a very light color of brown (tan?) when I moved it. Now almost 6 years later, I have to shampoo it to keep it near that color. When I use my Bissell, I get a little more "lift" than is visible before vacuuming. It makes the carpet look less worn. After using the 'Lux, I got a lot more lift. And, best of all, the carpet just felt cleaner under my bare feet. I don't wear shoes inside and rarely wear socks in the summer. My carpet never bothered me before but I downright enjoyed having it underfoot today. Well, at least the spots where I used the 'Lux!

I bet when I take the time to seriously run that thing through the whole apartment, the carpet with actually be lovely again. The first thing I plan to do is sprinkle down some baking soda to freshen the carpet. I only do that every few months because it takes the Bissell several passes to get it completely out of the nap. 

By the way, here is a video of some guy comparing this brand of the 'Lux to a Dyson. 

I cannot wait to show that video to my little brother. He has a Dyson and between that vacuum and his freaking iPhone, I am really tired of the crowing he does. 

My carpet doesn't need a lot of day-to-day care. I have no kids or pets and I spend the most time in my bedroom so I just want to keep the floors clean and fresh-smelling. And I am just amazed at how well this machine vacuums. It's nowhere near as loud as my Bissell, it's not as heavy as I thought it would be, and it certainly has better maneuverability. Now, it is taking me time to get used to the canister design. I keep reaching for more of a handle to hold onto. 

The only attachments I have are the "power nozzle" (?) floor brush that I will use most often, the combo rug/floor brush head, and the main power hose accessory that lets me attach the wands for the various brush heads. The only attachments I plan to look for are the crevice tool and the dusting tool. Right now, I am happy enough to have the floor tools.

I have never had a canister-style vacuum before. This one sure doesn't take up a lot of room. I will be able to store it in the same closet where I keep the Bissell. 

Having this used vacuum and seeing how well it still works made me want to find more Electrolux appliances. Then I went on eBay just to look for vacuum accessories. Good mercy. Some of the parts are selling for more than what I paid for my entire Bissell. Seriously. And to get a complete vacuum with or without accessories is just out of the question. I did find a potential source online for parts. You can find almost anything for this machine because, apparently, they last forever.

I sure can see why the 'Lux is a coveted machine...

Can you imagine having a metal one? #Goals.

Anyway, I am happy to have this vacuum. As I said, I will find a repair place to hunt down accessories - or not. I have already found replacement bags online for a not-too-frightening price. It really would be nice to find out which of my neighbors put this vacuum in our community freebies. I would love to buy them a thank you gift.

 Now I am going to go over to Reddit to boast a little.

Peace

--Free