Translate this blog....

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Sunscreen Is Necessary (Regardless of Skin Color)

(See my update to this post here. It discusses SPF numbers and the various types of UV light.)

"Black people don't need sunscreen because we don't tan."

"Black people's melanin protects them from sun damage."

"Black don't crack."

"Black people ~ insert more myths here~..."

False, false, false, and... false!"

We all need sunscreen not just when we can see the sun but as long as the sun exists. As far as I know, the sun is still up there.

If you aren't worried about the health effects of sun damage, let me appeal to your vanity. This is a popular photo I saw. Apparently, it's the picture of a man who drove a truck for 28 years. The more damaged side of his face is the was exposed to the window (and the sun). 

By the way, I am not making light of this man's skin situation. I do think that it's a good reminder of why we need to protect our skin from the sun. Regardless of the look of the damage, just imagine the health issues this could cause. (I hope he doesn't have health issues. I never heard the full story behind the photo.)

Black people, white people, brown, red, yellow, tan, olive... All people have skin. The sun can damage unprotected skin. Not just in the summer and not just in the heat. I lived most of my life in a place where the sun goes AWOL for most of the year and I was taught to wear sunscreen. Year-round. If you have skin, you need sunscreen.

The problem is finding a good and effective sunscreen and, for people of certain skin shades, finding one that doesn't turn you into one of my favorite songs, aka "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

There are sunscreens made by and for people of color, yes. Most of them are out of my price range. I would like to be able to go into Walmart or Target or some other budget-friendly retailer and find sunscreen. That's usually a fail.

I've always worn sunscreen but recently realized that not every sunscreen is as protective as I might need. My go-to sunscreen has been this kind:

I've stuck with this one ever since I moved here to the Midwest (where winters are dry) because it ticks a lot of boxes, as they say. It is:

  • Affordable
  • Broad spectrum
  • High SPF (50)
  • Affordable - actually it's downright cheap (it bears repeating!)
  • Non-drying (it's a lotion & is quite moisturizing)
  • Water-resistant
  • Fragrance-free
  • Doesn't irritate my skin (I actually like the way it feels on my face)
  • Does NOT leave a white cast - not even a faint one
This is on my upper leg. ZERO white cast. 
Almost more important than not leaving a white cast, this stuff is very affordable. I think the last time I bought it, I paid less than 4 bucks for the 8-ounce bottle. I use it on my body daily and on my face, if I am going out. I am going to start using it on my face more often.

I love the Equate sunscreen but because I use it as a body protection lotion, I was looking at the different sunscreens made especially for the face. Well, that became a nightmare.

I bought some Neutrogena "sheer" sunscreen and ended up getting a refund from Amazon because it made me look like the Zuckerberg meme.
Okay, it wasn't that bad but... there was a definite white cast - just enough to make me look ashy. If I wore foundation, I could use that sunscreen but I'm not going to start wearing makeup every day just for that.

When I searched online for sunscreens made "for dark skin", I found quite a few. Most of them were out of my price range. 

So, I am going to stick with this Equate brand. By the way, I found one site that puts Equate brand sunscreen right up there with pricey ones like La Roche-Posay's 25-dollar Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk.  Even Consumer Reports (for what it's worth) puts Equate and LRP on the same list. A New York Times Wirecutter review put the 2 brands on the same list. La Roche Posay is a favorite brand among French Pharmacy addicts. And y'all know I'm on the French Pharmacy kick.

Now, for anyone looking for sunscreen specifically for deep "shaded" skin colors, there are a couple of lists I found.
If you wear foundation makeup, I think you can probably use many of the sunscreens that leave a bit of a cast. I'm not sure if the sunscreen would affect the makeup shade though.

For now, I am happy with my Equate sunscreen. Amazon is sending me some Neutrogena Invisible Daily Defense Fragrance-Free Sunscreen Lotion to replace the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. That's nice of them because there was a no-return on the original item. I have some hope for the replacement since it is, like my Equate, a "lotion". We'll see.

Whatever you choose for sunscreen, do wear it. Wear it every day - rain, sun, snow, or shine. I rarely recommend things because I'm no expert but... if you want to try a sunscreen that rubs in clear on even really dark skin, take a look at the Equate Babe Broad Spectrum. I checked as I was typing this and see that it is (online) still under $5.00. My 8-ounce jar lasts me as long as any other lotion and I apply this once in the morning and once at night. If I go outside, I always apply it to my face and I will do an extra application if I'm going to be out on walks. 

Peace
-Free

P.S.: On a personal note, one of my SILs had a scare several years ago. She grew up in the age of oil tanning. She grew up in sunny California. When she was in her 40's (I think it was), her lesion (carcinoma?) was detected early enough. She became a stanch sunscreen user.