Translate this blog....

Monday, February 27, 2023

Update on "Sunscreen Is Necessary"

After I wrote the post about sunscreen, I wanted to do an update. The update is long enough for this separate post. So, here goes...

My Equate sunscreen is SPF 50. The Neutrogena Invisible Daily Defense is SPF 60+. I love both of those because they don't leave a white cast and are both broad-spectrum products. The Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch (which I returned because of the white cast) is SPF 70 and also broad-spectrum. I did have questions.

Which is better? Does a higher SPF number make a difference?

Apparently, there isn't much difference in protection once you get past SPF 50. I say "apparently" because that's the info I get when I check around online. I found some decent sources that have me thinking. 

This is from a WebMD article: "SPF is not a consumer-friendly number," says Florida dermatologist James M. Spencer, MD. "It is logical for someone to think that an SPF of 30 is twice as good as an SPF of 15 and so on. But that is not how it works."

(source imprint on the photo)

Basically, according to the article, a higher SPF only blocks slightly more UVB rays but none will give 100% protection. On the other hand (according to a second source in the article), a higher SPF may (my emphasis again) protect against long-term skin damage.

That was a little confusing to me. Personally, I am concerned about both the immediate and long-term damage. From what I read, SPF 30 seems to be the sweet spot - if you reapply every 2 hours.

So, after reading a few more articles, I was no less confused. One thing that all the various sources seem to agree on is: reapplication is key. Sunscreen doesn't last for hours and hours. And that's good to know.

I wear sunscreen daily but I rarely reapply it! That's going to be my new habit. I figure I can reapply my sunscreen at least 3 times a day (more if I am going to be outside): morning, noon, and late afternoon. I can aim for every 2 hours but... let's be real, I sometimes forget to take my meds on time - and that's only twice a day!

Another source I read warned against being complacent in using a high-SPF sunscreen. It also explained the 2 different types of rays we need protection against - UVB and UVA. (I am pleased to say that I've always used a broad-spectrum product.) I didn't really know what I was doing but just lucked out. 

According to The Skin Cancer Foundation:

  • Ultraviolet A (UVA) has a longer wavelength. It is associated with skin aging.
  • Ultraviolet B (UVB) has a shorter wavelength. It is associated with skin burning.
When I read that, I flashed back to the days when some of my friends would literally coat themselves with oil and lay out in the sun for hours. Yikes! I wish I knew then what I know now. I would have warned them.

Actually, there are three types of UV light. You can see here why we worry more about 2 of them though:
The sun emits 3 kinds of UV light: Long wavelength (UVA), medium wavelength (UVB), and short-wavelength (UVC). The shorter the wavelength, the stronger the light. Fortunately, UVC radiation (powerful enough to kill humans instantly) is absorbed by our atmosphere and never reaches earth. However, as the ozone layer slowly depletes from environmental pollution, there is an increase in the penetrations of UVA and UVB, resulting in earlier and more aggressive skin damage.

~sigh~ 

At any rate, please wear your sunscreen. I mentioned having a family member who learned the hard way how dangerous it is not to. I suggest checking out the Skin Cancer Foundation page. Also, here is an interesting read I found from a dermatology center "FAQs Our Dermatologists Receive About Skin Cancer and Prevention".

By the way, I'm going to have to stop using my beloved Equate sunscreen. There is no expiration date on any of the bottles. Sunscreen does expire (who knew?). In general terms, you should expect the product to last up to 2 or maybe 3 years. I don't want to guess though. The Neutrogena products have expiration dates stamped onto the end tips of the tubes. 

 I actually called the Walmart helpline to ask about this. The rep (Payton) couldn't tell me if there was a way to know the expiry date by anything on the bottle. So, yeah. Bye-bye to the Equate. Now I'm going to be looking for something comparable in such a nice large tube that I can coat my body with. EVERY 2 FREAKING HOURS!!! I have reached out to Walmart with a direct message on Twitter & might have to do a public tweet asking. I'll let you know something when I know something.

Peace

--Free