Translate this blog....

Thursday, June 08, 2023

Fixing My Great Big Flour Mistake

 Thanks to a messed up store order, the other day I ended up with 2 ten-pound bags of all-purpose flour. Instead of the bread flour that I actually requested. I was already having a bad week because an Amazon seller had sent me expired yeast. Amazon refunded me for the yeast but I was still stuck with 2 big bags of the wrong kind of flour.

Luckily, I learned (for the first time, I think) that you can turn all-purpose flour into really good bread flour. Of course, you need to get hold of some gluten to do that.

I ordered this with my monthly Amazon Shopper Panel gift card:

 It's Just-Vital Wheat Gluten Flour

It has a faint yellow tinge

Not only did this save a waste of flour, but the dough came out so good that I might keep using this bag to add some to bread flour.

My usual dough is pretty good, if I say so myself and it saves me so much money. A bag of bread flour costs about $5.50 for a ten-pound bag. I can make a lot of dough with 10 pounds of flour, a bit of EVOO, salt, yeast, sugar, and water. The best part about making my own dough is freezing large batches in sealed 200g bags. I can thaw 1 bag for a meal or 2 bags to make a loaf (or 2) of bread. I can make a pizza, garlic knots, or a bread loaf with garlic and butter or cheese baked in. I can make seasoned flatbread for dipping in oil sauce or aioli. 

The bread dough I made with the added wheat gluten flour... that was a whole other level of good. The bread made with that dough was just like the bread my mama used to make. 

Seriously, the difference in texture, and flavor (and a shortened kneading time) is so good that I plan to always add a bit of wheat gluten to my flour. I wish I had some of the "regular" dough to show but there's a reason I was making a new batch. I ate it all! 

So, if you ever wondered what to do when you need bread flour and only have all-purpose, now you know. There are other ways to turn flour into bread flour but this one just blew me away.

By the way, I can almost never talk about bread without thinking of the very funny late comedian John Pinette's take on gluten;


The whole thing is funny but the gluten bit is at the

19:59 mark

Enjoy and pass the tip along.

Peace

--Free