Translate this blog....

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Fighting This "Flu-monia" (Includes a Recipe)

 Well, it is almost 3 in the morning and I am wide awake That's because I have been doing nothing but sleeping for the past few days. I was so sick, I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. Seriously. So I am really happy to be feeling (cautiously) better.  Earlier today was the first time I've been up for longer than it takes to hit the bathroom. I ate a little something and took a quick wash-off in the sink. I'm not ready for standing in the shower yet. But I'm feeling SO much better.

Keep the prayers coming though. I still have the cough...

Anyway, I am breaking the forced blogging "fast" by talking about food. I was not able to able to enjoy any food until the meal I had earlier and I had to go easy on my tummy. The only good thing to come of this recent flu-monia or whatever it is, is that I lost 7 pounds. (Is it wrong to be kind of thrilled with that?)

Okay, back to the food talk. Since I'm not really up to being on my feet too long, my meal had to be easy and quick. I decided to do French toast (sort of) in the waffle iron. It came out surprisingly good. My recipe:

  • a slice of thick-cut white bread
  • 2 small eggs
  • a couple tablespoons of milk
  • some brown sugar
  • a little vanilla paste (thinned with a bit of the milk)
  • a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon
  • a pat of butter
I mixed the ingredients and dipped the bread in it. I used the butter to coat the iron before I "waffled" the coated bread. (I also made a couple slices of bacon in the waffle iron. It's a simple, heat-and-cook situation.)

What I liked was not having to flip the toast like I do when cooking in a pan. Instead of syrup (because I have none), I sprinkled the top of the hot toast with some more brown sugar. This recipe is going to be a repeat for me. The bacon wasn't as crisp as I like but that's because I got too wiped out to let it cook longer. I can't wait until I can give it another try.

I am now in love with the idea of cooking things with the waffle iron. Mine is a small and cheap one but it's good enough for what I need. Because my iron is so small, it's perfect for portion control.

When I shared the news that I was up and eating, my little brother warned me not to plan on doing a lot right away. The last time I felt like I was kicking whatever this ickiness is, I relapsed quickly.  I've been calling it the "flu-monia" because of the symptoms. My rheumatologist is over 2 hours away so... If I spike a temperature, I will seriously hit the ER. I really, really hate the hospital. Just thinking about hospitals gives me anxiety.

I am hoping that I really am on the mend this time. If so, I will be back to update the blog. But, first, I have to get my sleeping schedule back to normal!

Peace
--Free