Translate this blog....

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Blessings

The other day I was grousing about negative people in my life. Waste of time, waste of energy.

I want to talk about the people who have been a blessing in my life:

There is a really good girlfriend/sister (you know what I mean - more of a sister than just a friend) who has been there for me when I felt like my whole world was crashing down. When I was too embarrassed to go to family or didn't want to burden them during a bad period in their lives, this woman stepped up in the biggest way. She listened to me cry without faking her concern. She listened to me recount what a fool I had been without judging me. She told me what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. She has sat up through the night with me when I thought I was going to lose my mind. If that doesn't tell you something, then this will (and only people who know cold weather will really get this!): The other day/night, I was having a bad time of it. I called up just to chat with my friend "S" because usually that makes me feel better. This time, tho, when she answered the phone, I fell apart. I mean, I couldn't form a coherent sentence. Now. On this particular evening, it was about -16 (that's some true cold weather - even for here), the roads were icy, party people were hitting the streets and clowning so that sane folks wouldn't want to be on the same roads with them. "S" heard my voice on the phone and said only 2 things: "Where are you?" and "I'm coming over right now." She came. She came and bundled me up and took me to her house (which is more isolated and quiet & we all know people about to lose it need a little quiet!). She didn't ask questions and we didn't even really talk about my problems right then. She watched television and fixed coffee and pulled out blankets for me. We just sat together. And I survived another bad episode of the my-life-is-falling-apart blues.

There is my niece and her husband. These guys know what they have been for me. They have offered open hearts, home and souls to me. They have literally rescued me from a really bad situation. Without a question, without a sideways look, without boundaries. All I can say is that I love them and I hope they know that. (To all the parents out there who complain about their kids: all we ever had to give ours was love and a good ass-whipping when they needed it. Apparently that was enough to raise them to be selfless and compassionate. Buying your kids cellphones and BMWs won't buy their love.)

There is my sister - who is just quiet and calm and way saner than I will ever be under worse circumstances than I will probably ever survive. She is the love-glue around here.

Then there is a friend that I have never even met in person. "D" will know I'm talking about him. He has been funny and kind and sweet in such a warm and non-pushy way. There are not many men who know how to be  woman's friend. Thanks, D. If I am EVER single, I pray God some woman has not snapped your behind up!

So, instead of focusing on negative people, I am just thanking God tonight for the few and the wonderful. May He give them peace and return to them for me their kindness in overflowing.

Peace
--Free