Translate this blog....

Sunday, May 26, 2019

**EDIT** Dancing With Myself


(NOTE: I wrote this post piecemeal over a couple of days so please ignore any weirdness in the structure.)

I had to come back and add Rachel D'Arcy. I love her music but can never remember her name. I searched one of the songs I love and wanted to post it. Her voice. A bit like Amy Winehouse except more mature and sensual. She can really do her thing,

Remember when I mentioned posting some lists of songs I like? Well, this is a perfect time. When I was feeling like hell last week and in that deep blue funk, I tuned out of social media and plugged into my music.

There are so many songs I like, love, or am fascinated with that there's no way I can list even most of them. Since I live my life by my moods, I will list my music the same way. Here goes.
  • Someday We'll All Be Free/A Song forYou (Donny Hathaway)
  • Pata Pata/Mbube (Miriam Makeba)
  • Black Violin (A Flat)
  • Lovely Day (Bill Withers)
  • Hysteria/Love Bites/Animal/Foolin (Def Leppard)
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Jimmy Cliff)
  • Higher Ground/I Wish/ Fingertips Pts1&2 (Stevie Wonder)
  • Dancing in the Moonlight (Toploader)
  • Brick House/Zoom (Commodores)
  • Let's Work/Adore (Prince)
  • Joe Satriani
  • Didn't I (Darondo)
  • Celia Cruz
  • You & I/Hold Me (Emily King)
  • Public Enemy
  • Soul Flower remix (Pharcyde)
  • Back It Up (Nellie Travis)
  • The Emotions 
  • James Taylor
  • Graham Central Station
  • I Just Love the Man (The Jones Girls)
  • Underneath the Colors/ Tight/By My Side/Stairs (INXS)
  • Free (Jaguar Wright ft. Freeway)
  • Upside Down (Diana Ross)
  • Life is Beautiful acoustic & live (Sixx A.M.)
  • Slide (Slave)
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • Natural High (Bloodstone)
  • Shine (BarKays)
  • Noreg (Sky Townsend)
  • Turn Your Lights Down Low (Bob Marley)
  • O.H.I.O. (Ohio Players)
  • Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell)
  • Nobody But You (by both Dorothy Moore & Joss Stone)
  • Wild Honey (Van Morrison w/Joss Stone)
  • Crazy Love (Van Morrison)
  • Still Life Blues (Elephant Micah)
  • Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover (Sophie B. Hawkins)
  • Black Girl (Lenny Kravitz)
  • I Go to the Barn (Band of Horses)
  • Aretha Franklin
  • Ooh Child (The 5 Stairsteps)
  • Do You Wanna Dance (Bette Midler)
  • Simply Beautiful/L.O.V.E./Funny How Time Slips Away (Al Green)
  • Does She Love That Man (Breathe)
  • Everything is Everything (Lauryn Hill)
  • Ordinary World/Come Undone (Duran Duran)
  • Sweet Thing (Chaka Khan)
  • What a Wonderful World (both by Louis Armstrong & Paolo Nutini)
  • Amos Lee
  • Diana Ross
  • Tears Dry On Their Own/Love Is a Losing Game (Amy Winehouse)
  • Crazy (Patsy Cline)
  • Quiet (MILCK)
  • Millie Jackson
  • Knocking on Heaven's Door (both by Randy Crawford & GNR)
  • John Mayer
  • The Temptations
  • Gladys Knight & The Pips
  • In My Time/You Got What I Need/Wake Up (Teddy Pendergrass - and w/The Bluenotes)
  • Holla If You Hear Me/Baby Don't Cry (2Pac)
  • I'm Still Here (Mindy McCready)
  • Fisherman's Blues (The Waterboys)
  • Love Ballad (LTD)
  • Sinnerman/Wild Is the Wind/Blackbird (Nina Simone)
  • Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads)
  • Duke Ellington
  • Quincy Jones
  • Waterfalls/Swing My Thing Back Around/Am I the One (Beth Hart)
  • I Can't Tell You Why (Eagles)
  • Mmm/I Don't Want You Back (Laura Izibor)
  • Stormy Monday (T-Bone Walker)
  • Uncomfortable Truth/My Home (Nneka)
  • Water (Jack Garratt)
  • Baby Can I Hold You (Tracy Chapman)
  • Elton John
  • Jeff Buckley
  • God Only Knows (Beach Boys)
  • Alpha (Elvis)
  • Keb Mo
  • Hey You (Floetry)
  • Arrested Development
  • In the Mood (Glen Miller)
  • Unseen Zones (Destiny Lab)
  • No One Else On Earth (Wynona Judd)
  • Love (Kendrick Lamar)
  • James Brown
  • Wild Horses/Shattered/Beast of Burden (Rolling Stones)
  • Bonnie Raitt
  • It's You that I Need (Enchantment)
  • Love Me (The 1975)
  • Rock the Mic (State Property)
  • Everybody Needs Somebody (Solomon Burke)
  • Sea of Tranquility (Kool & the Gang) & Send It On (D'Angelo)
  • Brown Sugar (D'Angelo)
  • The Sky Is Crying (Gary B. Coleman)
  • Everybody Talks (Neon Trees)
  • Stars (Simply Red)
  • Hold Me/I Knew I Love You (Savage Garden)
  • Yours acapella version (Shai)
  • So Into You (Fabolous)
  • True (Spandau Ballet)
  • Smile (Ural Thomas and the Pain)
  • Creep/Waterfalls (TLC)
  • Madness (Muse)
  • Sleepwalk (Santo and Johnny)
  • Motown music (esp Marvin Gaye)
  • Some jazz
  • Some country
  • Some folk
You know what? This list is SO incomplete. I just kept this post open for a couple days and would come over and add to the list as songs popped into my head. Every time I thought I was done, I would think of another song. I'm going to just stop now before I drive myself bonkers.

And this doesn't even represent some other genres. I have so many gospel and Christian favorites that I would never be able to start listing them. The top faves include songs by Big Daddy Weave, Third Day, the Georgia & Mississippi Mass Choirs, and James Cleveland. I will do another post soon to list some of the Christian/Gospel songs.

 I wouldn't be able to do a good job of listing classical music because I only know the songs I like by ear. I do love stuff from musicals (like that beautiful song from Les Miserables "Bring Him Home" - but only as sung by the one dude with the huge voice that shakes my insides up). Man, I cried so hard the first time I heard that song. Maybe I should actually go see a musical. That would be something. Unless I ended up in a puddle of tears by the end. I think I'm way too emotional for hearing such glorious music in public.

Real quick before I sign off, I have to share how much I love Vapewild. I've been vaping on 21 Jump Treat ever since VW added it back to the lineup. Along with my juice order, I requested some of the famous Vapewild art. Guess what? I not only got the art subject I requested, but I also LOVE it. So freaking cute. You can probably guess what I requested. It was a toss-up between an orchid and... my grown gal crush:.

Vapewild art

I was having a really crappy day when the order arrived. Then I saw the drawing and - boom - instant smile. I'm such a kid at heart. By the way, I think that the artist makes him look more John Wick-ish than sweet Keanu but I still love it. The piece sits right next to where I do all my blogging and writing,

Peace
--Free