Translate this blog....

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Another Sunscreen Post

 When I was taking birthday calls from my family recently, I was reminding the young ladies to always use sunscreen. It's not a "being cute" thing but a "being safe" thing. Skin cancer is real. It's not only that a lot of them live in Arizona but they spend so much time outside. I'm a hermit and I still wear sunscreen daily. Head to toe, baby.

I did the original sunscreen rant here, then did an update here. I'm following up with more information because one of my neighbors discovered that she has skin cancer. I don't have a lot of the details but, believe it or not, it started with a mole. A mole. Damn.

So, please make a habit to wear sunscreen on your face and body. And find the right sunscreen. I thought all sunscreens were equal as long as they weren't expired and had the right ingredients. Well, that's the thing. Not all ingredients are equal. Also, some people have to worry more about SPF while others need to be more concerned with UVA. It's all about skin tone and type. Not only that but location matters - as in where you reside. 

Good Lord. It's getting complicated, right? 

Dr. Dray (a U.S.-licensed dermatologist) on YouTube did a video that is very helpful. I am using her shortcut wordplay to remember UVA for UV-aging and UVB for  UV=burning. Note: I don't burn so I'm looking into UVA protection! LOL

This video will help me make sure I'm using sunscreen better suited for my face.

And this one is for folks who might not take sunscreen use seriously.

Please take heed. This is not about how cute you are on Instagram; this is about your health.

Since I have become a fan of La Roche-Posay's Double Repair Facial Moisturizer moisturizer, I have asked them about their UVMune 400 sunscreen. I am also going to be trying out the Toleriane Double Repair Facial Moisturizer With SPF. I will report back what I learn about the UVMune - which is impossible to find. (By the way, LRP has a good post on UVA vs UVB.)

The part of the first video above that I found most interesting was about how our skin tone matters when it comes to sun protection. It seems that the whole "black don't crack" line is not so much about moisturizing as it is about natural defenses against some sun damage.

Anyway, please check out those videos. Talk to your doctors. And for my lighter-skinned friends out there, pay attention to how much more vulnerable you may be to sun damage. Don't be cute, be safe.

Peace

--Free