Translate this blog....

Sunday, May 21, 2023

I Finally Tried Aioli

 Why in the world had I never had aioli before? And how? As much as I love condiments - and garlic - you'd think I'd have always known about the yumminess that is aioli. Nope. I had aioli for the first time about 3 weeks ago. And I have managed to put at least a little bit of it on everything I've eaten since then. I'm thinking of pulling my toaster out of storage just to butter a loaf of toast with this garlicky goodness.

So, yeah, I love aioli. And I haven't even had a good homemade version - other than my own! 

Of course, because it's so dang delicious, aioli can also be fattening. I didn't realize that until I found a basic and "newbie" recipe for it. The recipe is a 4-ingredient one: mayo, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper. And mayo is the largest part of that.

The first aioli I tried was the J.L. Kraft brand. The garlic smell slapped me across the back of the head as soon as I opened the jar. And I was in love. This one is very thick and flavorful. It can be almost too strongly flavored to eat with some foods. I like it best with pizza.

The next brand I tried was Hellman's. It's much thinner and much milder in flavor than the Kraft one. It's also cheaper at my local stores. It's better, in my opinion, for drizzling over veggies. Which I did. Broccoli never tasted so good! 

Because I know that I never again want my fridge to be aioli-free, I decided to look up that recipe. My first batch turned out just okay. I didn't have the energy to crush up garlic so I just used powder - yes, I know that somewhere a real cook just rolled their eyeballs right out of their sockets. For my next batch, I used garlic paste and full-yolk mayo. That was much better. It's almost better than the store-bought and it certainly is cheaper to make. That's the part that I'm sticking with. The store-bought versions were between $3.50 and $5.00 for just around 12 ounces. I don't eat much at a sitting but still. I can get a 30-ounce jar of good mayo for around 3 bucks and I usually have garlic paste, lemons, or lemon juice and pepper around the place. As bad as I am at math, I know which is the best way to go with that.

When I told my younger brother that I had "discovered" aioli, he couldn't believe I'd never had it before. Ever. He told me that the best kind he'd ever tasted in his life was in a Greek pizza place we used to frequent back in Anchorage. 

I've been thinking of eating a more Mediterranean diet for a long while now. Just knowing that aioli sauce comes out of that culture inspires me. I can see myself cutting back on bread just so I can enjoy all kinds of salads drizzled with that sauce.

Do NOT get the Shan paste. It's bland as paper.

What I find kind of funny is that when I look for the condiment in stores, the labels usually say "garlic aioli". I learned that the very word  "aioli" is derived from the Provençal language, where "ai" means garlic, and "oli" means oil. 

Anyway... If you have never had it, this is one condiment you will want to try at least once. If you want to try making some for yourself, Google via ChatGPT suggests this recipe:

Traditional aioli is a delicious and creamy garlic sauce that originated in the Mediterranean region, particularly in Provence, France, and Catalonia, Spain. It's typically made by emulsifying garlic, egg yolks, and olive oil. Here's a traditional aioli recipe for you:

Ingredients:

- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced

- 2 large egg yolks

- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

- Salt, to taste

Instructions:

1. In a mortar and pestle, crush the minced garlic cloves with a pinch of salt until you have a smooth paste. Alternatively, you can use a garlic press or finely mince the garlic and mash it with the back of a spoon.

2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they become smooth and creamy.

3. Slowly add the olive oil to the egg yolks while whisking continuously. Start by adding a few drops at a time and gradually increase to a thin stream as the mixture starts to emulsify. It's important to whisk constantly in one direction to encourage the emulsification process.

4. Once you've added all the olive oil, the aioli should have a thick, creamy consistency. Stir in the fresh lemon juice, which helps to brighten the flavor and stabilize the emulsion.

5. Add the garlic paste to the aioli and mix well to incorporate. Taste and season with salt according to your preference. You can also adjust the amount of garlic or lemon juice to suit your taste.

6. Transfer the aioli to a jar or airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. This resting period allows the flavors to meld together and the aioli to thicken further.

Traditional aioli is typically served as a dipping sauce for vegetables, seafood, or spread on sandwiches. It adds a burst of flavor and creaminess to any dish. Enjoy!

I basically used this recipe but with a jar of garlic paste and bottled juice. Also, I fridged my sauce overnight before using it. Was it good? Good enough that I might never eat plain mayo again and I know I won't be buying any more storebought aioli.

Peace

--Free