Translate this blog....

Friday, May 19, 2023

**REVIEW** Lemomo Thermal Blackout Curtains Are TOTALLY Worth It

 Where I live in the Midwest, the summer temperatures are generally wonderful - high 70s to high 80s. To my family in Alaska and Arizona, that sounds ideal. But there's a huge downside: the humidity.

©WeatherSpark.com

It's noon right now and this is what my Weatherbug reports are looking like:


My apartment - which seems to get all the sun that exists - holds heat like a woman in menopause. It was about 69 outside when I snapped this pic of my thermostat...

Even my plants (all low-light types) get tired of the summer sun. As a matter of fact, one of my pothos plants starts to wilt if it gets too much sunlight. I love sunlight but I begin to wilt if I get too much heat. I've been in Iowa for almost 7 years now but my body has fond memories of Alaska's sunny but cool summers.

A while back, when I started the apartment re-do, I got blackout curtains. The ones in my bedroom are 100% blackout with thermal insulation. I, thinking "blackout" always meant 100% blackout, found a similar set of panels on sale for the living room. They are 85% to 90% blackout. I quickly learned that 10-15% makes a  lot of difference in this Iowa heat.

My living room with the "regular" blackout curtains, is a lot more comfortable than without them - a lot more comfortable. However, compared to the bedroom with the 100% blackout curtains, it's only slightly bearable.

If I'd only ever had the "regular" blackout curtains, I probably would've been mostly happy. Because I do have 100% blackout curtains in the bedroom, I just can't go back to life without them.

I really wonder how in the world I ever got any sleep in the summers before this. 

As I've said, sunlight doesn't bother me much (or it didn't). I spent most of my life in "The Land of the Midnight Sun". I could sleep with the Alaska sunlight knocking on my eyeballs. But here, the sun is different. It's a sharp bright. It's as bright as... whatever is the brightest bright there is.

But, okay, I adapted to the brighter sunlight. But the heat? That's a whole other discomfort.

I am one of those people who cannot (or, just doesn't like to) sleep without a blanket. My favorite part of winter is cocooning down under a huge heavy (and preferably weighted) blanket. In the summer, I use very lightweight comforters. I use them even when it's too warm but I'm not as happy about it.

Now that I have the 100% blackout (and thermal insulated, don't forget that part) curtains, my summer sleeping hours are heavenly. I still run my floor fan but, because of the curtains that keep out the heat, I actually feel slightly cool and comfy - even under my summer blanket. I don't even bother to open my bedroom curtains now. I have a SAD light that I use in place of the sun and I take my daily 10,000IU high-potency vitamin D.

This is what the bedroom looks like with the curtains (100% blackout) closed
in the full, midday sun. I have the laptop open to show 
the light/dark contrast in the room


And this is what the living room (85% blackout) looks like 
at the same time. 

I will give another example of how well the curtains work. One day, I thought of opening the bedroom blinds a bit and opening the curtains a crack. Just to let in a bit of natural light. When I reached under the curtains to twist the blinds, I was offended at how hot it was behind the curtains. The heat on my hand compared to what the room temp felt like was almost unreal. Back to the SAD light!

Because my books, writing desk, and laptop are in the bedroom, I am rarely in my living room unless I am watching a bit of TV or entertaining company. The "regular" blackout curtains keep it cool enough that my brother and SIL noticed one day. Before, when they'd come over, I'd put on the AC for them if it was really warm - and it usually was, of course. I didn't need to that day.

My whole apartment has been cooler but my bedroom has been absolutely lovely. Seriously. I can tell a difference in temps when I leave the bedroom for the living room. There isn't much airflow between the two rooms - which is why my AC never does much for cooling my bedroom.

The warmest it's been outside since I've had the curtains up is around 80 to 85F. I'm curious what my bedroom will be like when the 90F temps stroll into town.

Now...

Even though I am not being sponsored or compensated in any way, I want to share the links to these curtains for one reason: I have bought and used them and can speak on the quality that I got. I know that not every brand of item is always equal. I don't want people going out and getting curtains that might not be as good as these. So...I will share the links to them. 

They are from, of course, from Amazon. These are the 100% blackout (currently $36 for 2 panels) and these are the "regular" blackout (which are, as I type this down 31% in price to $23 for 2 panels, plus there is a 20% off coupon.) 

Once again - I am not being compensated in any way, shape, or form for this post. I wish I was because I could get those 100% curtains for my living room!

Peace
--Free


P.S.: It has taken a few days after writing it to post this. (Blogger is being problematic with photo uploads!). The weather has changed and now, instead of having temps in the mid-to-high 80s, it's currently 51F - at 10 in the morning! Iowa weather is as bipolar as heck...